Menstruation relating to Bipolar

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
didbakenaked

Menstruation relating to Bipolar

Post by didbakenaked »

I tend to experience a manic session during PMS and then it is followed by a bout of depression. It really happens once a month. What is up with this? Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?
lattejunkie

Re: Menstruation relating to Bipolar

Post by lattejunkie »

I'm not sure. I've noticed my PMS is a lot worse lately than it use to be say a decade ago.
nikolasix

Post by nikolasix »

In my experience as a Bipolar 2, my PMS seems to be about 10x more intense than it used to be. I get ridiculously depressive, moody, and weepy --like my eyes are leaky faucets all the time over the slightest BS. As soon as my actual period starts, I pretty much return to a more stable state (for me, anyway).
CoQ10

Post by CoQ10 »

Hi, It varies month to month but usually I am in a bad state.
If i was even on any kind of better eating plan that is out the window that week, i'm soo sleepy, i'm moody, angry, i'm too tired to do anything.
Also, "the experts" say you should write down your moods but i haven't actually done that. If i did it would not be a pleasant
time of the month, oh and i spend money and eat junk food.

Major problem other than this is that I am at the age of pre menopause which is scaring me.
Anyone in that group too?
C
ScottMentalPod

Post by ScottMentalPod »

It would be great to have your Progesterone & Estrogen levels tested at the point when you're extremely moody. From there you might be able to get on a birth control or medication to help level you out.

Dr Drew had a guest talk about how the doctor had to trick her body to level out the hormones to get her BiPolar under control. Then figure out how hormones were affecting her mood. http://podcastone.com/Dr-Drew-Show?showAllEpisodes=true
anymomentinthewoods
Issues: bipolar disorder II, OCD, anxiety, depression, loneliness
preferred pronoun: she

Post by anymomentinthewoods »

I know this is an older topic but I wanted to post something to see if anybody else had this too. Right before my period, without my medication, I get suicidal. I used to think it was a normal thing--you know, cause other girls would go "ugh, I wish I could die, I'm cramping right now". But then my doctor said that this was not a usual thing and changed my medication so it would stop. Does anybody else have this?
lawlessness45

Post by lawlessness45 »

Omg yes, anymomentinthewoods. I may not get manic per say, but all the times I've been hospitalized for suicidal idealization have coincided with my cycle. Like literately one or two days after I'm in the hospital I'll start. The week leading up to my cycle is hell, and the week of my cycle sucks, but it doesn't seem to suck as terribly as the week before. It's crazy. It's only gotten really bad within the last year or so. Bad enough to be noticeable and cause serious problems in my life and relationships at least. Can I ask what your doctor did or what medication he put you on that helped? I'm still struggling with stability during these times, and it is very frustrating.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
Sarah Williams
anymomentinthewoods
Issues: bipolar disorder II, OCD, anxiety, depression, loneliness
preferred pronoun: she

Post by anymomentinthewoods »

My doctor upped my dose of Trileptal (Anti-convulsant) and started me on Risperidone (anti-psychotic). I was also put on birth control that stops me from having periods all together. I've noticed that on those, I don't have the thoughts as bad. I'm not sure if that would work for you. Now I'm trying the Depo shot and this period, I got very weepy and sad and my period was longer. Not sure if I'm gonna continue on that but it was good because I don't have more pills to remember.
HypoPsychStudent
Issues: Bipolar II Hypomania W/Depression and PTSD
preferred pronoun: The cat

Post by HypoPsychStudent »

I know this is an old post, but i am currently on my period, and my depression is hitting me hard, and its suck really bad. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
ScottMentalPod

Post by ScottMentalPod »

Sorry to hear that. I just finished listening to Change Your Brain, Change Your Life audiobook. I picked it up from the library. It was great to hear brain scan can help determine what the best treatment the person should need. Ideally this takes some of the guess work out of determining the best treatment plan.

I've also been reading about Vitamin D and Fish Oil helping with depression, autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), bipolar disorder and even schizophrenia have all been linked to low levels of vitamin D and omega-3. But for all I know it's total BS.
http://www.spring.org.uk/2015/02/vitami ... otonin.php

Return to “Depression - BiPolar”