Happiness is a Choice. Oh, really

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Sienna

Re: Happiness is a Choice. Oh, really

Post by Sienna »

Yeah, Sam Harris would be great, but I don't know if he's depressed at all, or has any of the other issues addressed on this site / podcast.

"The Secret" is a bunch of baloney and anyone who believes that kind of drivel for a second is deluded. I've also been told by people (so called friends), that if you want something in your life, you need to ask for it. The universe will give it to you. Well, that's the same as asking God for help. He doesn't exist. The universe couldn't care less about one tiny human, who, on the scale of things is almost as significant as an insect.

What would really help though, would be to have sensible, caring people to talk to, who might have some practical, solid advice about how to help us navigate through this quagmire of a life. No thanks to any of the new age crap. I say that, yet I have been practicing yoga for over 20 years. But, I don't buy into any of the spiritual aspect of its teachings. Yoga is wonderful for relieving stress, improving flexibility, and removing toxins (I thnk). But it sure doesn't bring me any closer to a higher power, because a higher power doesn't exist, just like the tooth fairy or Santa Claus aren't real either.

Several doctors have suggested I take anti-depressants, but I say that the reason I'm unhappy are real. My sister died in a horrible way after suffering with steady declining health for almost two decades. I am having trouble finding a job, I'm isolated, and lonely. I don't see how taking pharmaceuticals would help these problems. So I try to help myself through an excellent diet, lots of yoga, and continuing to learn new things. Yes, this podcast helps too; it's pretty amazing.
brave-girl-living

Post by brave-girl-living »

If happiness was really "a choice" than there would be no need for articles like that to be posted/printed/written in the first place. :P
ScottMentalPod

Post by ScottMentalPod »

Some thoughts about happiness:

Real happiness happens in closeness to other people. You can "choice happiness" by choosing to building and maintaining happy healthy relationships with non-negative people. If you have family members who are negative, it is OK to not be around them.

Soon (in 2 to 5 years) there will be a blood test you'll take to know if you be on an antidepressant or not, and EXACTLY what kind of medication you should be taking. There will be no more guessing.

There is a group of people in the world that have 0% of depression. It is because they work outside everyday to survive. They don't understand the concept of exercise. Our bodies we're not designed for the modern day world we live in.

Don't worry. Be happy.
barghest

Post by barghest »

I had a Facebook friend today post this big spiel about how depression is really a gift, and gives you a new way to look at life, and how you shouldn't "medicate away" important life experiences, and I just can't. Same kind of ridiculousness. I don't think people who say this kind of stuff have any idea what depression feels like.
ScottMentalPod

Post by ScottMentalPod »

Agreed! Clinical depression sucks ass! People who think it's not biologic are idiots. They just can't relate because they don't have the same problem. Brain science needs to hurry the f up and come up with better diagnostic tools and methods to treat. Notice I didn't say better medications. The final solution could be any number of things.
kirkpatrick

Post by kirkpatrick »

Ahh, the wonderful world of click-bait. If you had clicked enough, you might have seen that she has a book on the subject offers her "Life Coaching Professional" services. The later is where people pay here to tell them what to do to be happy (good work if you can get it.)and have better lives base upon the science of "it seems like a good idea to her." As to the question, "Would she be saying this if it was about, oh, say diabetes," I offer this quote "Diabetes certainly isn't funny,but when faced with the disease for life, you have to make the best of it!" from her Kickstarter page "too-sweet-the-not-so-serious-side-to-diabetes", where she proposes that people pay here to write a book that she will sell for further profit.

"Be you, only better". That is her website and current project (not including getting people to pay her to write a book that she will then get other people to pay her for). You would so much happier if only you were a better person. Yeah, I would choose the happiness of blocking that person.
lawlessness45

Post by lawlessness45 »

Kirkpatrick, I love your last line. "Yeah, I would choose the happiness of blocking that person." I need to integrate that into my daily life. I'm choosing happiness by blocking you the f#$* out. Hahahaha.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
Sarah Williams

Return to “Depression - BiPolar”