Winter is a downer

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
LM30

Winter is a downer

Post by LM30 »

I've always had a strong seasonal component to my bipolar disorder (depressive episodes occurring in winter/mania over the summer). Since being properly diagnosed and beginning medication/treatment 3 years ago, I've manages to remain fairly even until this year.

This winter is definitely getting to me. The overwhelming urge to hibernate is making getting out of bed such a chore. My mind isn't as sharp and my productivity at work is way down. Personal hygiene is slipping and I'm just overall getting that despondent feeling.

I've been using SAD lamps twice a day, going to support groups, doing yoga, and reaching out to friends and family for support. All these things have undoubtedly kept me from slipping further down that rabbit hole, but it is frustrating that its not enough to keep me out of it. I had a great superbowl party last weekend. It forced me to clean up my whole condo and having 25 friends coming by did help me feel loved. But I'm still finding myself with that delusional little thought that they don't really like me and are just being polite and unloading the dishwasher feels like a daunting task.

Not sure I have much of a point to spelling all this out, other than making me feel better by sharing this out loud. Anyone else feeling SAD this winter?
meh
Issues: Bipolar, depression, general all around ick
preferred pronoun: That

Re: Winter is a downer

Post by meh »

This winter's been awful. And since I'm the stay at home parent, I get locked in the house with three middle school aged tweens. Oh Joy.

We just got knocked with a foot of snow and they're saying we're getting another 1/2 or more tonight.

Just. Kill. Me.
"Of course you have an active inner life, you're bipolar"
my therapist.
pizzicato

Post by pizzicato »

Happy Winter is finally ending everybody. I don't know if I can blame the weather completely but my winter sads are disappearing! Anyone else?
ScottMentalPod

Post by ScottMentalPod »

I suggest wearing polarized sunglasses in the Summer. Try taking vitamin D, endorphins (hard run), and something mentally charging (video games) in the Winter.

Overall it SUCKS. I've been debating taking an antidepressant in the Winter.

Let us know if you find a solid solution.

Return to “Depression - BiPolar”