wondering if i have repressed memories

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
schittsonthefritz
Issues: codependency, binge eating, sex assault, covert incest, emotional neglect
preferred pronoun: she

wondering if i have repressed memories

Post by schittsonthefritz »

I've had a troubling feeling with the last two people I started to date (one was a man and one was a woman). With both of them, I felt that oral sex would be disgusting and I couldn't imagine putting myself in that position, so I broke it off with both of them before sex was even on the table. I have had pleasure with oral sex in the past - giving and receiving - however I have not ever been able to achieve orgasm with that alone. I am always a little tense and insecure. I don't understand why the new feeling of disgust has come up and it has me concerned. I am starting to wonder if there is something that happened in my past that I don't remember. I'm also beating myself up for possibly reading too much into this. The thing is, there are other clues that something abusive may have happened. I'm more than willing to look into this in therapy but without any concrete memories, I'm a little lost about where to turn. Any suggestions?
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Re: wondering if i have repressed memories

Post by brownblob »

I would say just try with the therapist. There was an episode a while back about a guy with repressed memories. (episode 440Aaron Woodall) I don't know if you heard that one, but one of the things he said was that repressed memories is your brains way of trying to protect you. He said it was more important to deal with the effects than to remember all the details.
I suspect I may have repressed memories but I don't believe I could deal with them and avoid dealing with it.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"

Return to “Trauma/Abuse/Violation”