Found a Compulsive Sexual Avoidance support group

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
SmartCookie

Re: Found a Compulsive Sexual Avoidance support group

Post by SmartCookie »

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've been considering attending local sex and love addicts anonymous meeting... of which my city seems to have a surprising number. Very helpful to get even a vague sense of what they are like.
SmartCookie

Post by SmartCookie »

And just to add something else to the mix — I find that the words "sex addiction" or "love addiction" don't jive with me as well as the umbrella term "intimacy disorder." Besides the fact that sex and love are culturally very loaded terms, the latter captures the fact that intimacy is a component of a wide range of relationships — family, friends, even professional ones, in addition to the expected romantic ones — and that they all may be impacted by maladaptations in the way we see ourselves that seem to underpin sex addiction and love addiction.

I haven't had firsthand experience with avoidance or anorectic behaviours, but I thought I'd offer this perspective as an alternative label that you might find more resonance with, as I have.
Nevina

Post by Nevina »

Thanks, SmartCookie, that's actually really helpful. It makes a lot more sense for me to frame my issues as a problem with intimacy rather than an addiction.

There are an awful lot of in-person meetings in my city, too!
When life gives you shit, make shitade.

Return to “Sexuality”