Finding motivation and lifestyle changes

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
mooseman

Finding motivation and lifestyle changes

Post by mooseman »

I'm not as depressed as I used to be, but I find myself in a general sort of malaise where I can deal with day to day life, but can't really work towards long term goals. At a total standstill in life and really need to find a way forward to avoid slipping back into a more intense and debilitating depression. Does anyone have any general tips for lifestyle changes or habits that can improve mood? I'm going to start running regularly and am changing up my diet as well as taking vitamin D and fish oil supplements.
Frootsy Collins

Re: Finding motivation and lifestyle changes

Post by Frootsy Collins »

It sounds like you're definitely on the right track with the exercise. My therapist tells me that specifically intense exercise for a short burst is important to get the neurotransmitters pumping; I'm still kind of testing that one out, but it seems to be helping me.

I think doing work that you enjoy for other people is also useful for feeling better. For instance, I like to crochet, so I started crocheting caps for hospital patients to donate. It keeps your mind busy and makes you feel less isolated.

Good luck on feeling more motivated, I know how much of a struggle that can be.
"How nice--to feel nothing, and still get full credit for being alive."
-Kurt Vonnegut
WalkingThrough
Issues: Depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, ruminative thoughts
preferred pronoun: He

Post by WalkingThrough »

I'm all on board with the exercise. Find something that occupies your mind and concentration completely. I started rock climbing two years ago. One of the best things I ever did. I literally cannot think about anything else while I'm doing it. And I have been climbing in the middle of some awful episodes. Now, I might feel crappy later, but for the five or six hours I'm climbing, I'm not ruminating or feeling shitty.
Fargin
Issues: Avoidant Personality Disorder

Post by Fargin »

@WalkingThrough: what age did you start climbing?

The good kind of busy has really helped me, I'm busy shopping for food, preparing it, cleaning up after it, packing for exercise and training. I'm a bit shocked about my new-found energy and motivation. I caught myself wondering, where I had all this time for all these things and I realized, that it's the time I used to spend sitting alone in my apartment doing nothing but worrying.

I started out making tiny changes, a year ago, I couldn't run for twenty seconds, before my ankle started hurting. So I started walking. Then working out, then drinking less soda, less pizza, started cooking more and more myself. It's nice to have long term goals, but to stay motivated, I really had to keep my expectations in check.
WalkingThrough
Issues: Depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, ruminative thoughts
preferred pronoun: He

Post by WalkingThrough »

@Fargin

I started climbing just a hair after my 31st birthday. I'll be 33 in a few months. It was something I told myself I'd do for years and never got around to it. I started lead climbing last year. Lately, I've been in a horrible place again, which probably means I need to be outside right about now. Something I know about climbing is it makes me feel powerful and accomplished. The other day I got through a sticky situation on a rappel where a pieces of gear was stuck at the anchor. I kept my cool ans got down -- with the gear.

Hard to believe it's the same person that thinks his life is over because a girl left him and that he'll never be loved again. :)

Keep up the good work working out.

Return to “Depression - Unipolar (non BiPolar)”