How to talk about it when there's nothing to talk about

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Murphy
Issues: Depression, Social Anxiety, Rumination

How to talk about it when there's nothing to talk about

Post by Murphy »

I've been off my antidepressants for several months because I'm trying to conceive. (My psychiatrist added an anti-anxiety medication, which helps a bit, but it's definitely not the same.) It's been a struggle. I've been irritable, and I've been having a hard time completing daily tasks (like making phone calls, running errands, etc). I've been a little more sensitive. And lately I've just been depressed. But I don't know what I'm depressed about. My husband knows that I've been struggling some, and my friends know a little bit, but I don't really talk about it that much. I'm not really trying to hide it, I just don't know how to explain it. My husband always says he's willing to listen if I want to talk about it, which I appreciate, but there isn't anything to talk about. I just feel shitty for no good reason, so there's nothing to explain. Last night I was just sitting at home alone with this pressure on my chest and a feeling that I just wanted to crawl into bed and never get out again.

I don't know what to do. I can't explain how I feel or why I feel this way. (I kind of feel dumb for being upset about "nothing" even though I know it's not my fault.) I don't see the point in going back to therapy right now, because I don't know what I'd talk about. I don't know if I should tell my husband/friends that I feel this way, because I think it would just bum them out. If there isn't anything they can do about it, there's no benefit. *sigh* Anyway, thanks for listening.
Any care that keeps you from your feet is a care that carries your defeat
Imissmysun
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, past trauma healing,
preferred pronoun: she

Re: How to talk about it when there's nothing to talk about

Post by Imissmysun »

Hi lady!!!

Copy the entry you just made put in in a printable format - print it and tell your therapist - have nothing to talk about - feeling numb feeling empty - THIS is what you go to talk about - the emptiness the feeling of loss of sadness with no tie to it - please start journaling when these feelings are peeking or more severe - (if anyting it just puts a little more thought and connection with your body and your feelings) - this is EXACTLY how I experience depression - NOTHING happened - NO triggers that I can think of - NOTHING major to report - and yet there it is this huge boulder of nothingness sitting on me not letting me do anything -

My therapist says our brains are way too good at protecting us that they pick up on really small body positions either our own or someone else's a tone of voice a thought behind a thought and it will go into protection mode - which means numbing out that trigger - withdrawing feeling the weight of the grey depression - checking out - all of that -

It takes a lot more looking into and investigating to get to the bottom of... because there IS a reason its just hidden under your layers of self preservation -

Please go talk to your therapist - get in weekly while you are trying to conceive and while pregnant and at least the 6 months after - having a baby is a HUGE stresser - going off meds is a HUGE change - and you ARE normal and there is a reason for all that you are experiencing.

I am sending so much love and hugs for you because you are living my truth right now - I have so much compassion for what you are feeling right now...
Just another messed up chick, who hates her body and face, and voice, and thinks she is useless and her stuff isn't that bad and she should get over it.
-Sarah St. Lunatic
judasiscariotjr
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: How to talk about it when there's nothing to talk about

Post by judasiscariotjr »

The thread title sums it up! Well put.
"I still do, and I useta too-"

Return to “Depression - Unipolar (non BiPolar)”