resources for uninsured and no sliding scale available

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: resources for uninsured and no sliding scale available

Post by manuel_moe_g »

I am sorry we as a nation put so few resources into mental health, fifthsonata. I read your post, and you deserve better. I don't know if the forum copypasta for Low/No Cost Mental Health Resources will be of help. Please take care, let us know how it works for you, stay connected

___.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.___

Low/No Cost Mental Health Resources

United States website to find sliding scale "low/no" cost mental health services. Also information on medication assistance: NeedyMeds - Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics U.S. Database

Discussion of low and no cost therapy resources, even in usually under-served areas: Maria Bamford podcast, Episode 95, Jan 04 2013 at minute 6:00.

If you think you might need this resource, then you definitely need this resource - please check out the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network - RAINN at RAINN.org

Google searches for low and no cost therapy resources, even in usually under-served areas: your town or county + one of these terms:
  • low cost counselling service
  • sliding scale counselling service
  • CMHC
  • community mental health
  • community service board office
From this MentalPod board - some places to get help for people with limited resources:
Here is a post and thread on Reddit about getting medication at low or no cost: Community Assistance Program, accepted at Target pharmacy and many other pharmacies

If you are just needing someone with the chat with online, not a professional, there is a great depression chat room that usually has at least 40 different people, you can go and go private and discuss issues and just get stress off your chest. Here is the link:

depression-chat-rooms.org

Finally, here is a good summary of the precursors to suicide to help you understand yourself and others, it is from a PhD psychologist whose father committed suicide:

American Psychological Association - Thomas Joiner, PhD - Precursors to suicide, for yourself and others

Cheers to you, for scrolling all the way down to the bottom of this copypasta! :D
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
fifthsonata

Post by fifthsonata »

I used this thread to find what resources were here - all I found was what I originally wrote about. Thank you though.
weary

Post by weary »

Fifthsonata. That sucks. That sounds really, really frustrating.

I sometimes feel guilty having insurance because I know so many people without it and I remember how hard it was when I didn't have it and couldn't get it and my wife had expensive medical issues. I hope things do get better once you can get coverage through the exchanges. For now, I wish there was something that I could do to help.

In this kickstarter sort of age, and in a community such as this, one would think there would be a way to crowdfund getting started in therapy... if the people that have a little extra $$ could kick in a few bucks to some of the people that don't (especially during the holiday season, where generosity as well as stress/frustration/anxiety run high), it wouldn't take very many donors, each giving a little bit, to add up to enough for at least a few sessions. Obviously, this may raise a lot of potential issues with people with regard to privacy, anonymity, etc, and I'm not smart enough to know all of the possible pitfalls or to know how you or anyone else would feel about this sort of arrangement. But I find myself wishing there was a way that I could help.

I guess another brainstormy sort of idea would be if you were able to work out some kind of barter exchange with a provider in exchange for tutoring or music lessons or something else in your wheelhouse... I know that might be very unlikely, but I have heard of people being able to make those sorts of arrangements.
I hate being fucking crazy. I hate it so much.
I know that you probably feel crazy, but you are so not crazy. Your intense feelings are reasonable and appropriate to the situations you have to cope with. It sucks. It really sucks. I feel crazy a lot of the time too, and I really hate it too, and it's so hard to convince myself that I am somehow really OK underneath all of the pain.

You're still a good person, a responsible person, a smart person, a talented person, a kind and thoughtful person. And I don't even know you beyond what I have read from you on these boards, so I am sure there are many other great things about you that I am completely oblivious to. And crazy isn't one of them. You hurt. And you're allowed to hurt. And it's OK. And normal.

I wish you all the best.
fifthsonata

Post by fifthsonata »

I don't think I would take it unless I was desperate. I mean....I chose to be a teacher, I have to figure out how to live with a low income.

Thank you, weary. Your replies are always so kind.

Return to “Depression - Unipolar (non BiPolar)”