Anxiety hierarchy: play at open mic.

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
oak

Re: Anxiety hierarchy: play at open mic.

Post by oak »

Thanks Manuel Moe!

22 hours until open mic. Pure panic!

Good:

I am committed to going, and anything I do, or don't do, will be a success, because I tried.

Bad:

I don't know the song as well as I'd like! I may need to bring the paper listing the chords, a shameful prospect.

I broke a string last night!

I hurt my finger while trying to pop the string-anchor thing out!

Summary

I am not ready.

But I always knew that if I waited until "I was ready", I would never do it (ie perfectionism becomes procrastination).

So, I am going tomorrow. I am filled with terror.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Good luck! You are truly a self actualized man!
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
rivergirl

Post by rivergirl »

Sending my support & encouragement, Oak. I agree, whatever you do or don't do isn't as important as all of your efforts and in that regard you're already successful! :clap:
oak

Post by oak »

I made it!

I made every mistake I anticipated, any mistake I could make it. But it was okay!

I read your lovely encouragement, MM and RG, right as I was walking in. I helped the organizer set up, and he was afraid no one else would show up.

I was terrified when any number of attractive women came in!

I volunteered to go first, and clutching my guitar I told the audience, "I am terrified. I have never done anything like this before. I am going to play a song called 'You Are My Sunshine'".

My A chord was buzzy, and I found the D chord slowly. I also had the sheet with the chords. But I persevered and got through the whole song.

The audience clapped for me!
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
manuel_moe_g
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

It is not hyperbole to say that you are my hero. The highest form of existence is to be a self-actualized person. The only way it could be sweeter is if we could have been there in person to cheer you on! Much congratulations!
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
rivergirl

Post by rivergirl »

This is so awesome, Oak! Congratulations!
oak

Post by oak »

Thanks friends!

This very thread was the last thing I read before walking into the venue. I didn't turn around, because you encouraged me.

Ergo I am retiring this thread with gratitude.

I'll post again when I accomplish my secondary and ultimate goal: inviting a woman to watch the sun set while I play for her.
oak

Post by oak »

Having successfully completed two open mics six months ago, I just gave my guitar to someone who can actually play it.

I say that not being self-deprecating: I couldn't play it. I couldn't get my fingers to work when fretting (left hand), and my mind couldn't conceive strumming. Those are important parts of guitar!

I immediately understood finger picking, or plucking with the right hand. Ergo I've ordered a lyre.

While I enjoyed the guitar, sort of, I came to understand that taking any more time, after a year of trying, to fit a round peg into a square hole was not an effective use of my time.

Still, I feel bittersweet: I now know how people can get attached to guitars. The acquaintance I gave it to was very grateful, and has plans to play it in the real world.

Sometimes we can be the conduit; something we have is attracted to somebody else. It is good to get with the flow.

My main/original goal of serenading someone, at sunset, is still alive. She (whoever she turns out to be) will have to accept lyre. Which is an ancient instrument, so I should be good.
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hey Oak!

Thanks for the post, it made me smile.

You're a lot further along in the music department than I am! Wanted to play lead like Santana, but never had the patience..... So now I just play air guitar when no one's looking :lol:

You're right - there are so many stringed instruments available, you should be able to find one that suits you better and lets you express yourself without getting in the way....

Regards

SD

Return to “Anxiety”