Anxiety of physical pain

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Kismet
Issues: Schizoid PD, depression, anxiety, dissociative disorder
preferred pronoun: She

Anxiety of physical pain

Post by Kismet »

I have several severe medical conditions , one of them especially causes severe neurological pain and can come and go from the slightest breeze or hair touching my face in the wrong way. So lately it's been causing severe anxiety if I have to go out in public. I make sure I have more than enough medication in my pocket for quick access. I'm on edge, I don't go more than a few minutes from home. I stopped going to therapy a while back, didn't seem to be going in good direction, or therapist taking seriously anxiety and other issues. Anyone else have anxiety from physical issues? How are you coping? :think:
whackadont
Issues: CPTSD, Major Depressive Disorder
preferred pronoun: she

Re: Anxiety of physical pain

Post by whackadont »

I had severe cramps every month, so bad that I would be nauseous. The bleeding was horrendous, which had its own logistic issues to worry about. It would last two weeks out of the month--I'm not joking. To top it off, I often got fibroid tumors. It got to the point where, when I wasn't actually on the rag, I was anxious about when I would be. I finally had my easy-bake oven removed (still have the crazy-making ovaries). My doctor had tears in her eyes when she came to me in the recovery room; she couldn't believe how I'd managed the pain on the Rx she'd given me when she discovered exactly the position of one of the tumors. I'd had to wait six months for my insurance to kick in before having the surgery.

Anxiety surrounding recurring pain is a tough one. You can't talk yourself out of it by saying, "it's going to be OK" when you know you are in for another round of cramps, migraines, chronic/acute pain. You KNOW it's going to happen, so you have to make sure you have the right tools to cope, both during the calm and the storm.

I hear ya. Ow, that sucks....hang in there.
bigeekgirl
Issues: depression/anxiety. co-dependence, disordered eating/using food to cope
preferred pronoun: she

Post by bigeekgirl »

Oh yes. I wouldn't wish chronic pain on my worst enemy.

So much of my anxiety is centered around physical pain. I have osteoarthritis. It's genetic and I watched my mother get progressively more crippled. She put off her first double-hip replacement a long time and had them at 48 years old. She's 62 now and scheduled to have replacement double hip replacements before the end of the year. Several of my aunts have the same issues with the arthritis being in every joint in their bodies. I'm 36 and some of my joints are bad enough to show up as damaged on x-rays but some of them simply hurt. Some days are better than others but I never have a day where I'm not in any pain.

It is unlikely I will ever have a pain free day again. It is likely the pain will be progressively worse. I am terrified. When I have a particularly bad day, I think to myself this might be it. I might never have a "good" day again. Managing my physical health along with my anxiety/depression is a damn full time job.
j121walker
Issues: Depression
preferred pronoun: He

Post by j121walker »

I am dealing with the back pain, in medical term this condition is known as slip disc. I am just 33 years old and looking for the better treatment.
aliabse44

Post by aliabse44 »

I am managing the lower back pain , in health care term this problem is referred to as slip disc . We are just 40 years ages and searching for the much better treatment method .

Return to “Anxiety”