zoloft for anxiety?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
megaman
Issues: mild depression, anxiety, infertility
preferred pronoun: she, her

zoloft for anxiety?

Post by megaman »

Hi,

I have struggled with mild depression and and anxiety for years, not having too much trouble managing it on my own. I have had increasingly unmanageable anxiety since my mom died in July, we had a strained relationship and her loss has been complicated. I went to my doctor for help and she prescribed Zoloft as a baseline and Xanax for emergencies. It seems like Zoloft is more meant for depression, but is used for anxiety also. I obviously have some depression also, but it's the anxiety that is unbearable. Is Zoloft going to help with this? Does anyone have any experience with Zoloft? I'm also starting talk therapy. I realize you aren't doctors, so just asking for any similar situations.

Thanks.
Jitterz
Issues: Anxiety, panic disorder, ADD, body image, and depression
preferred pronoun: She

Re: zoloft for anxiety?

Post by Jitterz »

First of all, I am so sorry about your loss.
Zoloft was my first antidepressant I ever took when I was fourteen. My dr gave it to me for anxiety. I don't remember it helping me but everyone is different. Give the Zoloft a month and if it doesn't help tell your Dr. There are many antidepressants like SSRI's that are treatable for both depression and anxiety. I take Cymbalta and find it pretty similar to Zoloft. For me personally I don't notice a difference on it but if I miss a dose or decrease my dose my anxiety is much worse. The Xanax helped me when I had panic attacks. But I am now on Klonopin because it is a lot like Xanax but it stays in your system the whole day whereas Xanax seems to wear off in like 2 hours for me. If you are not in therapy I believe therapy goes hand in hand with antidepressants. I don't believe in taking just pills to get better. You have to put some of your own work into it which is the hardest part. Finding the right medication takes time too. Like I said I took Zoloft when I was at fourteen. Now at 27 I've tried about everything. It all depends on the person though like I said everyone reacts differently. But zoloft has potential for lots of people with anxiety. You might feel tired a lot but more calm. Be careful with the Xanax it can be addictive. Only take it when it's an emergency. Feel free to inbox me at anytime. I've been struggling with anxiety my whole life and have learned some good coping skills along with medication. Hugs**
"I am trying-I am trying to explore my unconscious wishes and fears, trying to lift the barrier of repression, of self-deception, that controls my everyday self." ~Sylvia Plath
Jitterz
Issues: Anxiety, panic disorder, ADD, body image, and depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Jitterz »

I'm sorry I forgot you did say you are in talk therapy which is awesome. I hope it is helping even though it is so hard go sometimes
"I am trying-I am trying to explore my unconscious wishes and fears, trying to lift the barrier of repression, of self-deception, that controls my everyday self." ~Sylvia Plath
megaman
Issues: mild depression, anxiety, infertility
preferred pronoun: she, her

Post by megaman »

Thank you for sharing!! I am also 27. I noticed that I haven't been sleeping well since I started taking Zoloft... I hope that doesn't continue.
Thank you again, and I'll definitely message you, and you can message me if you like.
hugs.
HowDidIGetHere
Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect
preferred pronoun: he

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

I was originally diagnosed with "depression with obsessive features" and prescribed Zoloft specifically because of those "obsessive features." It did help with the depression, but never really did all that much for the obsessive features (which also involved insomnia). At a certain point, I was started on risperidone, too, and was also eventually given Xanax to deal with bursts of anxiety. The Xanax was a bad idea for me, given my addictive personality and the fact that I could never find the line between taming the anxiety and knocking myself out for hours at a time.

In retrospect, though, I think those obsessive features were actually symptoms of hypomania due to bipolar disorder (I hadn't had a manic episode yet at the time), so my experience is probably not especially useful.
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

WTF Just Happened?—a new web magazine on coming out as mentally ill.

Return to “Anxiety”