Can caffeine cause anxiety?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
sleeplessincali
Issues: Depression, anxiety, weight
preferred pronoun: She

Can caffeine cause anxiety?

Post by sleeplessincali »

So lately, I’ve been anxious out of nowhere, the most recent incident was at home watching a movie. I’ve heard caffeine can cause anxiety so maybe I should cut down? A few days ago I was at a theater watching a movie and almost had to walk out but was able to get through it. If anyone has any tips while in the moment please share.
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Re: Can caffeine cause anxiety?

Post by rivergirl »

Hi sleeplessincali,

I'm sorry you've had those bad experiences recently.

I've found that caffeine, the content of media, and the experience of going to a movie theater can all be triggers for me.

I limit my caffeine intake (especially after lunchtime), am more careful of what I watch or listen to, and although I love going to movies, avoid it during times when I'm particularly prone to anxiety.

In the moment I find that deep breathing sometimes helps. If I'm at home and have time, listening to a guided meditation can also be helpful.

I hope you can find some methods to cope with your anxiety that work for you.

rivergirl
sleeplessincali

It’s finally settling down, thanks rivergirl. The deep breathing definitely helps me and I’ve started to cut back on caffeine as well. It’s hard, I love coffee lol
oak

Post by oak »

No less an authority (well, authority to me!) than Bourne says yes, it can cause anxiety. It is a stimulant.

However, IMO YMMV. I find it calms me, and puts me to sleep!

Also, and I don't know about you, but I have all sorts of anxiety about movie theaters. :o
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Welp
Issues: Anxiety, ???
preferred pronoun: He

Post by Welp »

Yup, caffeine certainly can cause anxiety, especially for those of us who already struggle with anxiety without the caffeine. High amounts of caffeine, such as more than 6 cups of coffee of three energy drinks, can actually create tachycardia (fast heart rate) which can trigger a panic attack.

If you want to cut back my suggestion is DON'T go cold turkey. The headaches are the worst. It is not fun I can tell you from experience. I was able to cut back my coffee intake by slowly mixing more and more decaf with my caffeinated coffee.

Oak, its interesting that it actually puts you to sleep! Its always so facinating how differently our brains process things.
bigeekgirl
Issues: depression/anxiety. co-dependence, disordered eating/using food to cope
preferred pronoun: she

Post by bigeekgirl »

An excess of caffeine does cause an uptick in anxiety for me. Lack of caffeine, specifically coffee, causes the color to drain from my life until I can barely imagine a point to life. I keep a balance by eating while caffeinating and most days cutting myself off before noon.
sleeplessincali

Thank you all for your replies, they have been helpful, I’ve cut back a lot and my anxiety seems to be getting better.
thomasdown92
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by thomasdown92 »

Caffeine definitely triggers anxiety. I was a coffee addict but had to quit it all together to reduce anxiety attacks. But I guess, one doesn't have to quit taking caffeine but just limit the quantity.

Return to “Anxiety”