Corona Virus Anxiety

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Corona Virus Anxiety

Post by snoringdog »

So, I woke up this morning, tired from work travel to a very grey and rainy day. Thought I would work from home.

Turned on the am news, clicked around, and saw lots of Red. (Stock market, Sports postponements, School closures, etc etc). Anxiety provoking! :shock:
Felt a downward spiral coming on...

Around noon I ended up going into work (a little begrudgingly) for a small emergency, and it actually helped.

Later read an online article about "Managing Corona Virus Anxiety" and did some searches for more. Several good hits with reminders like

1. Seek out reliable information - but not too frequently. (easy to obsess, right?)
2. Focus on what you can control (wash your hands, don't touch your face)
3. Find the right kind of support
4. Keep a healthy routine.
5. Try some anxiety reducing techniques (Breathe! Meditation, mindfulness).
etc

Also saw some new "Rapid Corona Virus Tests" that will help to gauge the spread.
And a couple of article written by survivors.... Too easy to concentrate on the worst...

Regards

SD
oak

Re: Corona Virus Anxiety

Post by oak »

You are not alone, Snoring Dog. You post here as much as you like.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

I never realized how many times a day I touch my face. I am finding it impossible to not do it. I also feel very self conscious if I do have to clear my throat, sneeze or cough in public.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Brownblob,

Yeah, right? When I was on the road, I kept a scratchy paper towel on-hand in my pocket that I used sparingly for my face.... (Dry skin is a drag).
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

I got The Plague by Albert Camus out of the library to read. I’ve read it before and it’s a really humane narrative about a community in Algiers cut off after the outbreak of plague in the 1940’s. If you don’t know Camus, he won the Nobel prize for literature.

I also started watching a comprehensive lecture series on Kanopy, on the Black Death. People believed the world was coming to an end when ironically it created the conditions for a European renaissance. Florence, a pinnacle of medieval culture was decimated.

I don’t recommend these unless you’re feeling somewhat healthy as they can add to the risk of spiraling.

But for me it’s just a way of reminding myself that outbreaks are a common occurrence in history. People respond and struggle in different ways. It’s good to proactively find examples of how they do that.

You can read and watch these too if other activities you normally do are cancelled. It’s relevant but without the hectic ferocity of the 24 hour news cycle or the social media, or the YouTube, churn.

:)
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
Heatherwantspeace
preferred pronoun: she

Post by Heatherwantspeace »

My town is starting to shut down. It's all so strange. We went to the grocery store to get a last bit of produce and a few treats so we can have some special meals. The empty shelves are terrifying. My partner and I were able to calm each other down and remind each other we have plenty and that this is panic, not shortage.
We don't live in a high density area so we can still get out for a walk daily which is really helping things feel a bit normal.
Hugs, everyone!
Heather
oak

Post by oak »

Thank you for sharing, Heather. This is all astonishing.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Heatherwantspeace
preferred pronoun: she

Post by Heatherwantspeace »

This is already feeling strange and lonely, even though I have a quarantine buddy.
If anyone wants to start a thread about anything at all, just to feel connected, please do!
No topic too frivolous :-)
Heather
TonyM_Guest
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, Emotional Neglect, Pure-O, Covert Incest
preferred pronoun: he/him/his

Post by TonyM_Guest »

I agree with you 100% heather. My wife commented yesterday that we're feeling more disconnected right now (even with both of us working from home full time) than we have in the past because of the blurry edges between work life and home life. My daughter is home doing school 100% online right now and I am feeling my connection with her get "weird" for the same reasons.

I am 100% up for those of us on these boards getting together to hang out and commiserate. I have a thread where I'm trying to coordinate a Google Hangout -- viewtopic.php?f=90&t=12292
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

How are you all doing now with the Coronavirus situation?

I thought I was handling it pretty well up until two days ago when I started telecommuting. I think I'm less afraid of dying from the illness than I am of being isolated and experiencing severe mental health effects.

Return to “Anxiety”