Returning to Work

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Returning to Work

Post by snoringdog »

So, I got a request to go into NYC yesterday from a colleague who had a scheduling conflict, and immediately the anxiety kicked in....

What's this about?
Where is this place?
Should I take the train or bus?
What's the bus schedule?
What do I need to bring?
Who else will be there?
What do I need to know in advance?
Will I be on time?
etc....

Damn!

(I haven't gone into the city much for the last year, so it took some mental recalibration.)
Anyway, once I was in, there was really no problem, and the meeting went well.

The city is opening back up. Many people are still wearing masks, some aren't.
Walking back to the bus terminal, I saw a double-decker tour bus drive slowly past, filled with tourists up top!
I had a compulsion to run over and greet everyone, which I did, waving my arms over my head. :lol:

Made a couple of people laugh, and I laughed as well. Salesman thought I was crazy, but so what?
What a difference from the feelings in the am!
oak

Re: Returning to Work

Post by oak »

SnoringDog, I'm glad you made it back into the office, and that the meeting well.

I am supposed to be in the office, five days a week, starting next month. I am far too new, and like my employer too much to make WFH a deal-breaker. In other words, I wouldn't be thrilled to commute five days a week for the rest of my career, but I can tolerate that minus because of the many other substantial pluses.

Anecdotally, I'm hearing of highly-skilled employees already leaving employers who insist on a five-day commute. I have a good friend who is along in interviews.

My prediction: this summer the boomer managers will insist on working from the office (since they paid for these buildings), and bunch of talented people will reply: "Deuces".

I wouldn't be surprised if many of us are working three days a week in the office by the end of 2021. But not before the boomers lose their best employees, who can get readily get job offers that include 100% WFH.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Re: Returning to Work

Post by snoringdog »

We've been going into the office on an as-needed basis thru-out the pandemic. Unless your job is 100% computer based, sometimes you just need to get your hands on equipment to check or test.

(My car commute isn't far, but it's pretty stressful - like a bad video game I don't want to play every morning. ;) )

And there's something to be said for face-to-face interactions on a fairly regular basis. Some things are handled much more efficiently, especially with the non-native-speaking coworkers.

They've been talking about 4 day work weeks for decades now. Wonder if that'll ever happen.
And I guess some managers may feel like they're not getting a full day's work unless someone is physically present....

Return to “Anxiety”