What do you do to comfort yourself?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
ghughes1980
Issues: Physical disability, mental disability, depression, anxiety, PTSD
preferred pronoun: He

Re: What do you do to comfort yourself?

Post by ghughes1980 »

Lately a very hot bath or shower, that seems to bring me out but you really can't live in the bathroom right?
ididthatonce

Post by ididthatonce »

My anxiety makes me feel overwhelmed and overstimulated, so I find a quiet place, close my eyes, and concentrate on my breathing. If that doesn't make me less stressed, I think about rubbing my cat's belly or something equally enjoyable.

If I'm at home, I find that taking off all my clothes and getting into bed makes me feel better.
letteggs

Post by letteggs »

I too am a fan of the ice cold bathroom water! I don't know what it is, but it is just the best feeling in the world!

I will usually just crawl into my bed, or the corner of the couch, and curl up as small as I can. I give myself big, deep, high-pressure hugs, and run my fingernails over my arms. It's part of my sensory thing that to me, the scratching of my arms is incredibly soothing. I've never scratched hard enough or deep enough to draw blood, it is just a calming feeling.
Geek

Post by Geek »

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this :) I've been struggling with anxiety and insomnia for a few weeks now, and it feels good to know that others share my pain & have suggestions on what to do on those terrible nights I'm lying awake for hours.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Write in notebook. As I lie there, I tell myself, either meditate in bed, or write in notebook - NO RUMINATION! :D 8-)
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
PratuanTH

Post by PratuanTH »

:) Hello, my name is Pratuan. I'm a student from Thailand.
Everyone's idea is very awesome! Now let me share my ORDINARY ideas.
When I'm anxious, I often follow these choices;
1. Lay on the bed, close my eyes, and listen to cool songs which are selected specially for this feeling.
2. I'll go to a cafe in my town and order a cup of hot coffee. its smell and taste can make me feel relieve.
3. Sometimes, I go to the supermarket where I can see beautiful things and buy some of my favorite food (sweets).
4. And the last option; talk to my parents through the phone. I always tell them about whatever that is happening to and hurting me. And they are always helpful.
What do you think about each choice?
Could someone please recommend me the new and interesting way?
Thanks a bunch! "It's nice to meet this helpful online community"
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

Hi Pratuan!

Your first two ideas are pretty similar to what I do. There's nothing like sitting in a cafe with a coffee, mmm. And I haven't thought about making a playlist just for those feelings, so that's a pretty cool idea. I'm going to try that, thanks!

I get anxious at supermarkets or talking about my feelings aloud, but I'm glad to hear it works for you! Everyone has different ways. :)

I'm trying to think of something different from what other people have already written, hmmmm. One weird thing I do, is I lie down on the couch with my headphones on, when I'm feeling anxious, and I put my feet up on the back of the couch, so that my legs are elevated. Something about that relaxes me. It might be a placebo kind of thing because I heard people with heart problems should have their legs elevated? But it helps to make me feel grounded and take some of the nervous energy away.
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

I see that a lot of people use writing in different ways and that's a huge one for me too. When I am my most tense and anxious, writing is sometimes the only thing I can do. I have sketch book journals because the pages are unlined and sometimes I just end up making scribbles on paper and it soothes me.

Physical activity also helps me a lot. Although it's not always an option (especially at night), walking or jogging helps. I keep pace with my emotions, when troubling thoughts arise I start to jog and work out the extra energy. When I'm at home, sometimes I clean. Not obsessively, but putting my mind to a task and completing it makes me feel like I have control when other things in my life feel out of control.
Just breathe.
PratuanTH

Post by PratuanTH »

Hi, kitkat. I'm happy to know that at least one of my ideas interests you. I did make many types of playlists because I'm a music lover. I'm not wired, am I ? <><><><><>To day I have a wired trouble and hope somebody here would give me some advice. I'm not sure weather it happens to me only or other people as well. = Why does listening to soft or soothing music NOT WORK when I have trouble falling asleep at night? " Does it depend on the level of anxiety ? .......... ^^ Have a wonderful day ^^ .........."Thank you in advance" <><><><><><><> P.S. Sorry if my English isn't good. :roll: !
LatinPhrase
Issues: Depression, Anxiety, Addiction and Body Issues.
preferred pronoun: He

Post by LatinPhrase »

For some reason, playing sports video games where I can create my own character calms me down. I'll turn down the volume and listen to a podcast or some music
while I play. It's like I'm distracting my ears, eyes, and hands all at the same time haha. I'm a huge basketball fan, so I think that childhood fantasy of being an NBA
all-star will always be in my mind and the ability to fail and succeed in a virtual setting seems to make dealing with my own failures and successes a little simpler.

Listening to music calms me as well. I love searching music blogs and listening to new artists or people I've just never heard of. There is something so relaxing to me
about listening to a someone you've never heard before say things in their voice, because a new voice or a new instrumental feels like a palette cleanser to me. It wipes out all of your preconceived notions about a genre or particular sub set of music when you hear something that speaks to you. I hope you all keep hugging your teddy bears, petting your dogs, listening to music, and doing whatever you have to do to get through those times when it feels like your thoughts are just spinning too fast and you can't control them. :D
The Impressions -- Keep On Pushing

Return to “Anxiety”