Physical Manifestations of Stress and Anxiety

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Peejums
Issues: anxiety/depression
preferred pronoun: he/him

Re: Physical Manifestations of Stress and Anxiety

Post by Peejums »

Well, Pigeon, my hives were big, reddish-pink, blotchy, bumpy patches. They itched like crazy and would appear most often on my legs (particularly on my thighs, but they could show up pretty much anywhere, including my face, just as in your case, kitkat). The funny thing was, when they disappeared, they left no trace of ever having been there, unless I'd scratched too hard and left marks from that. I don't recall any topical creams or ointments having any effect, either, and I can't remember whether I tried taking antihistamines.

In fact, it looked just like the pics at the following URLs: http://firstaid.about.com/od/bitessting ... -s-Arm.htm and http://ledaomd.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/hives.jpg

I started getting them immediately after quitting a job that had me commuting farther than I'd have liked to at the time. I wasn't really all that nervous on a conscious level, so I must've been internalizing my anxiety and this was my body's way of bringing everything to the surface. (At least, that's my armchair therapist explanation.) The funny thing was, when it stopped after only about two months, nothing had really changed in my life and there'd been no real improvement in my circumstances.
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

Peejums, looking at those pics make me feel itchy!

If you got them after losing your job and going thru all that stress, it makes sense that it was the anxiety that likely caused it. And if they went away on their own, maybe it was from your body having adjusted to the added stress?

That is my very unscientific guess, tho. It would be interesting to find out for sure!
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

Yeah, those pictures look almost painful! My rashes aren't nearly that large. I'm not sure what mine are :/ I should try to take a picture next time they show up.

I've been going through a lot these past couple of months (I might post about it somewhere else, I haven't decided yet) but as a result, I totally screwed up my digestive system. I'm trying to rest and heal while I'm on Christmas break but man, if it's not one thing it's another!
Just breathe.
taurine_cat

Post by taurine_cat »

I know most people eventually have some kind of physical issue come up from prolonged stress and anxiety. I have always had muscle pain and constipation, but a couple years ago I developed what is now assuredly a chronic anal fissure. I also now seem to have IBS to go along with and aggravate it. The pain can be so extreme that I have to cry.

And of course, today being my most loathed holiday (Thanksgiving), my dreams last night must've been so stressful that I virtually woke up with blood coming out of my ass. So much to be thankful for!

I just needed to vent and get that off my...butt? I am glad this forum is here.
Whitney
Issues: Migraines, repressing emotions, anxiety, phobia of intimacy
preferred pronoun: she

Post by Whitney »

I tense ALL my muscles, especially in my neck, jaw, back, and legs.
useless weakling
preferred pronoun: whatever

Post by useless weakling »

Thank you for making this thread!

When I started having panic attacks about 18 months ago I would sometimes wake up with hives all over my body and I had no idea what they were. Usually they were on my hands and legs, sometimes chest, and itched like crazy. The strangest thing was they would disappear as soon as they came, which is not what happens when I get hives from an allergic reaction. I took pictures and showed them to like 4 different doctors and the best answer they had was that it must be an allergic reaction to something. Every 3 months I go to my doc to refill my xanax script and every time she asks me "did you ever figure out what those hives were from?" because she's still stumped and curious about it!

However, I'd say the worst physical thing about my anxiety is that it gets worse when I lay down. My usual symptoms are lightheadedness, numbness in my left leg, heart racing/palpitations, and sometimes twitching in my legs and arms. I haven't had any real panic attacks for almost a year now, or the hives. They were always worse when I was laying down, to the point where several times I couldn't sleep, or even lie down, for 4-5 days at a time. Ugh, I'm so glad that's over.

Return to “Anxiety”