Choking/Tightness in throat

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
ferrous_hominid

Choking/Tightness in throat

Post by ferrous_hominid »

I have an interesting/messed-up symptom of anxiety. I feel like I am choking prior to the onset of a panic attack. Steve Agee described a similar problem on the podcast. If you take your thumb and forefinger and press them on the lymph nodes on your neck you'll get an idea of what I am talking about.

It feels like my lymph nodes are swelling. The "lump in your thoat" that happens when you are overwhelmed with emotion? That's almost the feeling. When it first started, the sensation ramped up my anxiety so bad that I felt like I couldn't swallow... it felt like a golf ball in the back of my throat. I would get this sensation and it would lead me into the attack by freaking me out so bad.

I have not had a panic attack in awhile, however, this feeling persists. It does not end up in a panic attack, because I heard the podcast with Steve Agee, and just knowing that it wasnt actually going to close off my airway allowed me to deal with it better. Similarly, after going through 30 some-odd panic attacks I finally realized that I wasn't going to die, so I could "relax" somewhat during the process and not freak out further, adding to that crazy, exponential cycle, that can occur.

If anyone has a story like this, please let me know. I can't tell you what a relief it was to here Mr. Agee talk about his experiences. It really, really, haunted me before I knew that I wasn't alone in this.
Jitters

Re: Choking/Tightness in throat

Post by Jitters »

I've had that feeling before, but the feelings in panic that make me much worse are numbness in hands/feet, chest tightness, and palpitations. I go straight to "this is serious, I'm going to die." and it just devolves from there. Just know that that symptom will not harm you. I find it useful to say things to myself like this has happened before and I've been fine. Good luck working on your panic.

Return to “Anxiety”