Fainting?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
kitkat

Fainting?

Post by kitkat »

I was wondering if anyone has semi-fainted from anxiety? I've had the light-headed feeling before, but today I fell and blacked out for a minute. I don't think it was a long time, and I just sort of fell straight downwards, like, my legs stopped working. It was strange. I was in an anxious situation and was going to unlock my front door and my vision just went black and then I was on the floor.

Maybe this is common, though? Anyone else?
kitterztoo
Issues: Former self-injurer of 23 yrs, childhood abuse, PTSD, depression, mild anxiety.
preferred pronoun: She

Re: Fainting?

Post by kitterztoo »

Sometimes hyperventilating can cause that. Fast breathing in an out can cause light-headedness and could cause a person to pass out. If you were doing that, next time breathe in and out into a paper bag or a plastic one (but be careful not to suffocate yourself). If you weren't hyperventilating, you might want to see a doctor to make sure you don't have an underlying health condition that is made worse during a panic attack or anxiety.
~ kitterztoo
WiltedRose

Post by WiltedRose »

I have experienced more syncopal episodes than i care to count. So scary. i DO believe anxiety played a role each time. Though in my case, it's' also true that once I get to the hospital my labwork shows my electrolytes are off - or usually dehydrated too. So then they blame it on my eating disorder. So it Is partly that, as well - the ED. But i think that when I am very hypokalemic, dehydrated, etc... the physical way I feel is so scary(I feel pretty sick, weak, dizzy, tingling arms and muscles cramping)... it all kind of sends me into a sort of anxiety episode (attack)... which I really do believe perpetuates the whole thing and I ultimately pass out. Very scary when it occurs. Try to breathe deeply, and no matter where you are... if you feel that feeling coming on, please sit down. If it's possible to put your feet up or your head lower (like between your knees), it may help as well if it is a vasovagal episode. But do try to get down as low to ground as possible because if you DO pass out, it's really easy to hurt your head depending on how or what you hit. Stay safe. Sorry you have felt this way. Also advise (if others haven't said it already), let your Dr. know about it.... just to be safe. :)
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

I haven't actually fainted, but my agoraphobia anxiety is fueled by my fear of fainting in public. I do get nauseous and feel faint, so I have to find a place to sit and take my anti-anxiety pill. I'm sorry you've actually fainted...that would worsen my fear even more and my agoraphobia would get worse... I hope you've ruled out any medical condition that might have caused it just to make sure. I hope you are coping well emotionally after this traumatic experience.

Return to “Anxiety”