Every work email scares me

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
The_Hero_of_Time

Every work email scares me

Post by The_Hero_of_Time »

Every time I get a new email from my Editor or Executive Producer, I get so overwhelmed by what they say even if it is just routine and, I constantly worry if I am going to fuck it up.
brave-girl-living

Re: Every work email scares me

Post by brave-girl-living »

Yes. Me too. Every text and every email and every meeting I anticipate being criticized and feeling inadequate. :?
failinginbk

Post by failinginbk »

Feel the same way, dread that little outlook popup each time
The_Hero_of_Time

I struggle with compliments from my bosses because I'm always paranoid that they are being condescending or if there is underlying, malicious meanings to their words.
jolly_green_giant

Post by jolly_green_giant »

I've had this happen. At times, I'll put off reading a particular e-mail because I'm afraid of what it might contain. Sometimes for days, which results in quantifiable consequences from the delay. Frustrating, but even when I recognize it, hard to change it.
The_Hero_of_Time

And it's sad because even though deep down I know that I am good at what I do I still am so outrageously paranoid.
EagleBend
Issues: Anxiety, depression
preferred pronoun: he

Post by EagleBend »

I experience this anxiety frequently. It doesn't have to be work related at all. There are times when I have to completely unplug from the world for a while because an email, text, or incoming phone call will trigger an avalanche of anxiety.

Since my old career revolved around being available for communication with my boss or my clients on an almost around the clock basis, things naturally didn't go well when this anxiety started manifesting itself.

I will ignore an email, text or social media instant message for days sometimes because of the irrational fear that the message is bringing me bad news or somehow is about how I have disappointed the sender. In fact, I've not checked my voice mail messages in a year.

How do you find ways to manage this anxiety when it manifests itself?
ididthatonce

Post by ididthatonce »

Apologies for the humblebrag.

I fucked up at work back around Thanksgiving, and turned in my resignation. My boss told me that I was "not allowed to quit." One lateral promotion later (into a role that was actually created for me), and I STILL am convinced that he's firing me every time he calls. :roll:
ladysquid
Issues: social and generalized anxiety, addictive tendencies, depression
preferred pronoun: she/her

Post by ladysquid »

Yikes, do I relate to this. I also second guess any response I do give. I constantly think I sound mean when I write emails. :|
kb9vgh
preferred pronoun: she

Post by kb9vgh »

Wow, I sure am glad that "I am not alone" with this. I am always nervous about emails and also voicemail. Like someone on there is going to be really mad about something.....and get me in trouble.

Return to “Anxiety”