Dogs jumping on me. Worth, protection.

To start a discussion post a new topic.
oak

Dogs jumping on me. Worth, protection.

Post by oak »

Can I bare my soul?

Strong language and yes, all CAPS follow.

When I was four or five, my father and I visited his mother in the country. One summer day my father and I were walking along the rural road, minding our own business.

Out of an open door of a house, four or five large (I suppose all dogs are large to a five year old) came out and began barking at us, invading our space, and jumping on poor little me.

I really feel pain for that me. My heart breaks for him.

So these dogs snapped, pushed, and menaced me. This happened for a mile or two as my father and I tried to make it home.

I do not judge the dogs: they were socialized to act a certain way. I do fault the owners for leaving them to essentially roam free. Fuck those fucking assholes.

I deeply resented my father for not protecting me.

My father is a good man, not perfect, and did his best to raise me. Overall he did a fine job. But I can count on one hand the times he really failed me, and this is one of them.

Like I said, I don't blame the dogs, and the owners were not around to influence the situation. So it was up to my father, and he chose not to act.

The trauma from the situation itself is one thing, and I have genuinely forgiven him for his lack of decisiveness. We talked this out about six months ago, and he listened with love and apologized. That specific trauma is healed as much as any old trauma can be healed :)

The bigger, deeper, more consequential consequences was that I got the lesson, loud and fucking clear, that I was not WORTHY to be PROTECTED.

Yes, I committed an internet faux pas by using all caps. I'd pound the table if I could. It was not okay what happened to me.

So if I am not worthy of being protected from dogs at five, then I wasn't worthy of protecting myself from a bully at age 7.

"Not Enough!" that was the message I deeply received that awful day.

At 36 I am fit and understand my personal physical boundaries, and have the aura that people respect.

But I didn't have those tools at 5. My father, who was 40 at the time, was the custodian of my worth.

So if dogs can fuck with me at 5, bullies can fuck with me at 7, then I must not be worth enough to properly earn enough money to support myself.

Fuck that shit. Fuck it.

I throw that script into the trash.

Today, thirty years later I am putting the pieces back together.

Today I have no phobia of dogs. I like other people's dogs well enough, but they are just not a big interest of mine. They represent nothing especially good or bad to me.

I do not mess with anyone, human or dog. In fact, most humans and dogs are very respectful of my aura, since I respect them.

But no fucking way I am going to let some bullshit enter my space when I am minding my own business.

I have never been in a fight, and if I live to be a thousand I will never start one. But if someone starts a fight, especially with people under my authority and protection, I will defend myself and my dependents.

As an adult I have walked in all sorts of environments over much of America, and no dogs (or people) have fucked with me.

I truly believe that today, if those dogs years ago came up to me now, they would respect my aura and not violate my space.

I wish, dearly wish, I could go back and protect my younger self. He had no one in that moment.

Boundaries. My boundaries were ignored and violated.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
MizLzie

Re: Dogs jumping on me. Worth, protection.

Post by MizLzie »

Wow Oak, that sounds awful. I am so sorry that, at age 5, you were felt that you weren't worth protecting. It is so crucial to feel safe at that time of our life.

I used to suffer from terrible nightmares when I was young. They would wake me up and I couldn't get back to sleep, just reliving the horror over and over in my head. At first my mom told me to come to her when it happened. Yet, I remember vividly that I would go to her room, terrified and alone, and she would get angry & frustrated that I had woken her up. I'm sure that was a seminal moment that resulted in me believing that I was the only one I could count on. That if I was afraid or needed comforting, it was up to me. As a child...

It makes me so happy to hear that you aren't afraid of dogs! So many people are permanently traumatized during those moments. You have drawn strength from a negative experience and that is something to applaud yourself for!
amun

Re: Dogs jumping on me. Worth, protection.

Post by amun »

oh its awfulllll......in such a small age!!!
Get the latest 642-437 dumps dumps to learn web designing and become expert using JUNIPER paced design guides and Cornell University video tutorials related to web designing. for more information to visit free braindumps Best of luck,

Return to “Childhood”