Lost a Friend to Heart Failure Last Night

Don't be afraid to describe the way you'd like to be hugged and how it would make you feel.
serious_oregon

Lost a Friend to Heart Failure Last Night

Post by serious_oregon »

I'm a caregiver to some wonderful seniors, one of whom died last night. I really enjoyed this man. He was very academic and discussions with him were always insightful, if not educational. I'm saddened because tomorrow was my day to see he and his wife. My friends and partner are all at work and I'm the kind of person who could just really use a hug when the going gets a bit tough. Ergh...sad.
"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." - Legendary singer/songwriter/poet Patti Smith
ColemanSilk

Re: Lost a Friend to Heart Failure Last Night

Post by ColemanSilk »

:Hug:

You are a braver person than me, I could not deal with being around people close to death. I'm sure you gave him a lot of emotional comfort in his last days.
serious_oregon

Post by serious_oregon »

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I really needed that and appreciate the kind words and virtual hug. You rock for being there for me, ColemanSilk. So nice to have this new neighborhood of friends.
"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." - Legendary singer/songwriter/poet Patti Smith
MizLzie

Post by MizLzie »

Here's another *HUG*

I don't know if I could do what you do. As Coleman Silk said, braver than I.
Cheldoll
Issues: Depression, anxiety, anorexia, sexually abused
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Cheldoll »

*hug*
I owe you one hug tomorrow too.
xoxo,
Chel

" Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do,
care about many of the things you care about, although most people don't care about them.
You are not alone. " — Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
serious_oregon

Post by serious_oregon »

You guys are great. Thanks a heap. It's been a hard day and an even harder tomorrow when I will go help out Kathy, Richard's widow. It's hard to know what to think or type. Richard was very brave. He was aware that he was going to be passing soon, just don't know that it would be this soon. I guess we can never fully prepare.

The important thing is to be there for Kathy now.

Thanks for the hugs, all. That extra bit of love was/is definitely needed.
Nevina

Post by Nevina »

Cheldoll wrote:*hug*
I owe you one hug tomorrow too.
So do I! So do I!

I was a caregiver for 10 years, though most of them weren't seniors. But I do know what it's like to truly care for people and not just because it's your "job." I'm glad you will be there for Kathy.
When life gives you shit, make shitade.
Churble

Post by Churble »

I worked for several years at a senior care company. I actually ended up putting in for a transfer to the office to be the receptionist because I just couldn't take it.

It takes a special kind of person, with a special kind of strength to do what you do. Speaking from experience, just knowing you're there and that you genuinely care is such a comfort for his family.
If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, well, there it is. Life finds a way.
ColemanSilk

Post by ColemanSilk »

Yeah, I echo what churble said. It takes a strength I don't have to do what you do. At the risk of repeating myself I'm sure you've given a lot of comfort to people who needed it and you should pat yourself on the back for that.
serious_oregon

Post by serious_oregon »

I just wanted to come back and say another big "THANK YOU" to everyone in my loss of a friend and client. I see his widow every week and she still loves me being her 'helper' :) . She always tells me she doesn't know what she would do without me. It's weird. I have so much compassion for these people. They start as complete strangers to me, but end up feeling like my own family. I want to be there for them. Sometimes when I wake up and I'm having a hard time getting out of bed I remember, "This is Kathy's day", and I'm up like a shot. Even on days I've been feeling low, it makes me feel really good to get there and be with these people who really rely on me to be there for them. Making them laugh and feel good about themselves and their homes, is all I need to keep coming back. It was horrible when I found out that Richard had passed, but I knew Kathy would be feeling lost; and again, that's all it took.

I guess I may be one of those people chosen in some weird way to do this job. I only grew up with one Grandparent and one Great Aunt. They were pretty much the extent of my extended family. I lost my Aunt in 1996 and my Grandmother in early 2000. Being that we didn't live near one another, I felt a bit disconnected and horribly sad when they passed. I spent wonderful vacations with them by myself when I was young, so they both meant a great deal to me. I suppose my taking care of these new seniors is a way to help fill that hole in my heart for the loss of my own family.

Kathy is doing well, but she was married to Richard for, get this, 66 years plus 2 years of courting. She sees a memory every where she looks. To have a shared life with someone for that long is truly a blessing.

Thanks again. Hugs!

Return to “I Just Really Need a Hug”