Interesting reaction to death in the family

Describe any moments from your life that were transformative or revelatory, good or bad.
Nevina

Interesting reaction to death in the family

Post by Nevina »

I suggested this section, I shall post. :D Very happy to see it created!

I always got along better with my grandma than with my mom. Her husband had died when I was a baby so I never knew my grandfather. My grandma had interesting books and record albums and I could talk to her about whatever was going on in my brain. My mom and I had nothing in common and we just couldn't relate emotionally. There's a lot more I'm not going into. So anyway, when I was 18 my grandma had cancer and it had metastasized everywhere, and I think we knew she wouldn't be leaving the hospital. We went to visit every day and I stopped giving a shit about school or yearbook editor duties or anything. I can't remember if I cried before she died...even afterward, I must never have cried in front of my mom because I remember her being angry with me for being so unfeeling. It wasn't that, I just never had my feelings validated by her, so most of the time I didn't know HOW I even felt, and when I did know, it was useless to try to discuss it with her, because she would either disagree with me (I couldn't possibly be feeling that if it wasn't what SHE felt), or she'd say it was over her head (she didn't understand). This has become very convoluted, sorry.

The seminal moment is when I woke up one morning and my mom was in the livingroom in tears, and she simply said "she's gone." My immediate reaction was NOT grief, it was an overwhelming sadness that my mom was now an orphan. In that moment I felt nothing but deep sadness for my mom, this woman who I could not relate with, who thought I was unfeeling, who had been emotionally neglectful my whole life. None of that mattered, she was my mom and now she was an orphan and in that moment that was the worst thing I could imagine. I hugged her and she thought we were comforting each other over grandma's death, but I was comforting her for her newfound orphan state.

That experience really made an impression on me. I was really blindsided by that.
When life gives you shit, make shitade.
ghughes1980
Issues: Physical disability, mental disability, depression, anxiety, PTSD
preferred pronoun: He

Re: Interesting reaction to death in the family

Post by ghughes1980 »

I don't think I cried for my Grandfather until after the funeral was over and my aunt sort of enveloped me at the door to the church. Not sure why really I think maybe it wasn't quite real until someone else reacted in a socially appropriate way. Thoughts?
Cheldoll
Issues: Depression, anxiety, anorexia, sexually abused
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Cheldoll »

This could almost be a Happy Moment from the surveys -- it's beautiful how you put aside everything and lived in that moment solely to console this person you felt so disconnected from.

I'm interested to find out how your relationship with your mom changed after that. Did it even change at all?

ghughes -- It's highly likely that you were in a bit of denial. Sometimes we're so overwhelmed with emotion that we freeze up. It's also possible that you thought of your grandfather as now being free of this world and only felt sadness for the people left here on earth (your aunt, etc).
xoxo,
Chel

" Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do,
care about many of the things you care about, although most people don't care about them.
You are not alone. " — Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Nevina

Post by Nevina »

Actually, I did post the story in Happy Moments survey many months ago. :) But yeah, our relationship didn't change until many many years later after we had stopped speaking to each other for six years. Now we get along much better because I had time to become a real, separate person, and strong enough to have my own opinions and feelings.
When life gives you shit, make shitade.

Return to “Seminal Moments”