Financial wake up call

Describe any moments from your life that were transformative or revelatory, good or bad.
MizLzie

Financial wake up call

Post by MizLzie »

I am associating "seminal moment" with what I call, "Slap across the face" moments. When I have a physical reaction to a realization about myself or others. Mostly myself. I'm sure I go pale or flush, depending on the moment, and it hits my stomach, knotting it right away.

Anyhow - I recall with such clarity, sitting on my chair in my living room at 28, thinking about my financial situation, I had to make $$ for a trip to NYC my mom was taking us (sis) on. I was/am terrible with money, made some really poor decisions in my 20's (who hasn't!), and found myself struggling with shitty credit. At that moment I felt that, "slap across the face", and said to myself, out loud I should say... "Get your shit together! You're going to be 30 in a couple of years and your finances are a joke!"

At that moment I decided to make myself a proper budget and deal with it. Even after going through more unemployment than employment the following couple of years, working 2 jobs sometimes. I can now say that I've done pretty well! I'm really proud of myself. I still struggle, but my credit is back on track and shit is getting paid off.
gfyourself
Issues: Emotional eating, dysthymia, anxiety

Re: Financial wake up call

Post by gfyourself »

Well done!
Cheldoll
Issues: Depression, anxiety, anorexia, sexually abused
preferred pronoun: She

Re: Financial wake up call

Post by Cheldoll »

That's very impressive! I hate thinking about finances, especially the mountain of student loan debt I had to start paying off late last year.
xoxo,
Chel

" Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do,
care about many of the things you care about, although most people don't care about them.
You are not alone. " — Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Return to “Seminal Moments”