Six years sober today.

Describe any moments from your life that were transformative or revelatory, good or bad.
oak

Six years sober today.

Post by oak »

Six years ago I was watching a movie with my buddy. I looked at my beer and thought to myself: "This is my last drink." I set it down and that was it.

It was as emotional as saying that I went to the grocery store today. The man I was becoming wasn't the same man who abused alcohol. When I changed it was natural for the alcohol to go.

I post this not only because it is nice, which it is, but to communicate that there is hope. There is absolutely, definitely, for sure, hope. That is my absolute conviction.

If you, a friend, or a family member struggle with alcohol or other drugs, there is hope. Absolutely. I am certain. There is hope.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
weary

Re: Six years sober today.

Post by weary »

Happy Anniversary. That is a tremendous accomplishment, and I am glad that you are putting it out there as potential inspiration for others who are struggling like you did. Thanks.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Hope + accomplishments + plans + actions = Oak = great future
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
oak

Post by oak »

Thanks fellas! It is the good life.
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
ghostmouse

Post by ghostmouse »

Congratulations. That's awesome. :clap:
oak

Post by oak »

Thanks!

Though I am not going back to drinking, I do have the following typical of sober people:

this week I dreamed of alcohol. That I drank two beers.

I craved sugary treats for years (but the rich type of sweet, like Heath Bars or really rich ice cream), then salty (especially kettle corn) snacks for the last six weeks, now back to sugary (but the more straight sugary, like Skittles).

Though I obviously haven't drank in years, now and then I can still taste it. Sometimes I get the sensation of a gin and tonic in the back of my throat. I can't quite explain it.

But I am certain that sobriety is a wonderful gift.

Return to “Seminal Moments”