Got let go from my job today, am

To start a post, create a new topic. Post about anything from changing grade schools to moving into a retirement home. Hopefully not in the same year.
bigeekgirl
Issues: depression/anxiety. co-dependence, disordered eating/using food to cope
preferred pronoun: she

Got let go from my job today, am

Post by bigeekgirl »

I am not proud to say I've left previous jobs with crying, cursing and generally flipping the fuck out, absolutely panicked. I was polite and professional.

This job situation was strange for reasons I could detail, but that's not the important part. Suffice to say I was not experienced in what I was asked to do, nor did I have the training to succeed and even if I had all that, I have sincere doubts about the business/business model.

In the last 16 months or so since I've been there, I've also been in therapy and going to a support group for almost 11 months. My recovery is such that I was realistic about what I could do to change the situation. I learned to stop beating myself up for not being able to fit my square peg into a round hole and succeed against enormous odds.

I'm sad and worried today, certainly. I hate the uncertainly of not knowing what's next. I even have a few resentments from my past swirling (mostly about my parents not making an effort to get me to college or prepare me for adulthood in a million ways). I am not trying to minimize what I am feeling or even spin out threads of plans for what I need to do Monday. I'll leave to pick up my husband from work in a few minutes, focus on reality and try to take advantage of what time I end up with between jobs. It'll be okay. I'm okay.
oak

Re: Got let go from my job today, am

Post by oak »

Awwww.

I’m glad you’re posting here. Keep using your words.

Keep us posted.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

I was so glad to hear you say that it will be okay at the end. It sounds like your recovery has made you stronger.
I relate to what you say about your parents not preparing you to be an adult. My parents didn't do that either. I wonder sometimes what that would have been like.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
bigeekgirl

Post by bigeekgirl »

It was only a matter of time, really. Inside sales is mostly something outsourced these days and that's what they are doing. Likely what they should have done instead of hiring me in the first place.

I'm in a good place mentally, live in an area with an abundance of jobs, plus my husband has a good job. It's really not a bad position to be in. I need to work, but I don't have to worry about a couple weeks not working and that's all it will be. I turned down like four other jobs when I took the one I just lost.
oak

Post by oak »

I’m glad you are hanging in there.

Btw I think we are going to be outsourced late next week. Enough signs are there if you want to see.

Were there signs/clues, looking back, BGG, of the coming outsourcing?
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

I'm sorry to hear about your job loss, bigeekgirl, but glad you have some support in place already. Please take good care of yourself in the next couple of weeks.

Hugs,

rivergirl

p.s. Sorry to hear about your possible outsourcing, Oak. Do you think that would mean you'd lose your job too? I hope not.
bigeekgirl

Post by bigeekgirl »

I knew it was coming only in that my job was cold calling and booking meetings for my boss. No meetings came even when I was doing my dead-level best. It's a stupid way to try to drum up business that's way outdated and we didn't have the slick website and social media content to make it even partly effective. I also was brought on out of a customer service and retail background which is very different application of similar skills. They are outsourcing to a company that specializes in lead generation, like most companies do these days.

It's scary to know the end is coming, but I honestly wasn't too worried. I turned down like 3 or 4 jobs when I took this one. Not all of them were ideal, but that's just life.

I have a couple companies I'll apply to Monday and I'll apply for unemployment, plus make arrangements to go talk to someone at the local community college and wherever else makes sense to attempt to take advantage of what programs might be available to me.

Oak - I hope you don't get laid off and if you do it's a blessing after a short amount of stress.
bigeekgirl

Post by bigeekgirl »

So, it's Monday. I applied for unemployment. *And* I put in an application to the local community college. My only post high school experience was getting roped into a few classes with a for-profit online college and that naturally did not go well, left me with student loans and nothing else.

We're going to see what financial aid is available and what opportunities the universe has in store for me.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Wishing you the best, Bigeekgirl. Keep us informed, you are a huge part of this forum, you are simply a wonderful person
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
bigeekgirl

Post by bigeekgirl »

thanks, moe. The little band of folks on this forum are so very important to me.

Return to “I'm Experiencing an Overwhelming Life Transition”