Personification of character flaw.

To start a discussion post a new topic, otherwise just comment on other people's.
oak

Personification of character flaw.

Post by oak »

For some years, in my waking life I've struggled with something called "underearning". Long story.

The other night, I had the following dream where underearning was personified:

I was safe in a house or room (everything I dreamed was as if from a first person movie shot). There were four scenes:

1. Underearning was personified as a very powerful half man/half beast. I knew it was coming to kill me and cause chaos.

2. It/he was pushing on the door. I could resist, but for only so long. It/he would overpower me sooner or later. When I locked the door, he unlocked the deadbolt. When I locked the deadbolt, he unlocked the door. I saw his hand come over the top of the door, to open it.

3. A non-threatening, dispassionate voice told me that I had to honor the beast-man by asking it how it wanted to die.

4. The next instant, the final scene was the underearning, personified as me, submissive at my feet, wrapped in a tarp. He/it shivered, knowing he was about to die. A device was in my hand, and I knew that if I pushed the button in far enough, the beast would die.

Then I woke up.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Personification of character flaw.

Post by manuel_moe_g »

You are not your underearning. Your underearning is external and gives no information about your character. What you call "underearning" I call "verbal self-abuse by Oak not giving Oak enough credit for navigating a very difficult situation"
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
lawlessness45

Re: Personification of character flaw.

Post by lawlessness45 »

I can sympathize with the part about someone trying to get in and you holding the door closed. I have nightmares like that. That dream sounds disheartening, and I hope you give yourself some time and compassion to recognize all you are doing. Hang in there.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
Sarah Williams

Return to “I Want to Share a Dream I Had or Keep Having”