Sugar, but really anything stimulating can be a problem...

To start a discussion, post a new topic.
mentalfraud

Sugar, but really anything stimulating can be a problem...

Post by mentalfraud »

My dad's parents were alcoholics. My dad never drank, but he ate sugary treats (candy, brownies, cake, doughnuts, especially anything chocolate) as if there was no off button for him. My guess is that the alcohol abuse in my family was probably really an addiction to sugar in a large way. He ate and he ate. He was diagnosed with diabetes, and he kept eating sugar. He lost his kidney function, his eyesight in one eye, and ultimately although he's still alive, he no longer lives life because he's done so much to himself. He's only 61 years old at this point.

Watching what he did was an eye opener to me. I have known that I love anything sweet for a long time. I've given up sweets for a month at a time, and afterward thought that I would be able to eat in moderation. No can do. If I eat one doughnut, I can't stop. If I eat one brownie, one piece of cake, one piece of candy, there is no off button. I crave it. Heck, I've even dreamed about it in those times where I tried to give it up. The last straw was early this year when a friend gave us a bag of candy while my wife and I were out working. I would eat the candy to the point where I felt horrible physically, stop for a few minutes, and as soon as I felt human again, I'd dive back in. At one point I looked at my wife, threw up my hands, admitted how pathetic this was, and that I was clearly an addict.

So, that was the beginning of February. It is now August and I'm "clean". Obviously there is sugar in some things that we all eat, but no more sugary treats for me. It was hard, but I have to say that a supplement called Chromium Polynicotinate really helped me immensely to avoid cravings. I found that recommendation through Dr. Oz, and it really worked (and I'm skeptical of everything).

Giving up sugar wasn't without side effects though. It has really spiked my anxiety issues, and the resultant frustration and frankly....rage. That's been tough to deal with. If I don't take the Chromium supplement, it really gets high for me.

The reality is that I think I just have an addictive personality though. I've never been diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I fit in the ADHD category, among other things. Dopamine and stimulation are issues for those with the disorder, and I'm pretty sure that anything stimulating can become pretty addictive to me. I'm a sugar-holic, workaholic, addicted to the internet, tv addict, etc. If it stimulates my brain, I'm there. I only wish I could be addicted to productive things like exercise that would make me feel better.

I hope this helps someone else that might be addicted to sugar. It is really serious, even though it may not seem like it in comparison to some things that are out there. I really did find a way past it, though I know I'm still an addict and could slip back easily. I also know that I have to watch and make sure that in the whack-a-mole of addiction I don't knock down sugar only to have three other addictions spiral. I don't drink, and would never dabble in drugs due to the strict religious upbringing that I had. That's a blessing, because otherwise my story might have gotten really, really ugly.
oak

Re: Sugar, but really anything stimulating can be a problem.

Post by oak »

Oh I understand. You are certainly not alone.

After I got sober in '08 I began craving sweets. Within six months I was hooked on Mountain Dew, and daily enjoy 3 cans a day. While Mountain Dew isn't great, no one would want me to go back to the alcohol.

Also, personally I draw a distinction bewteen sugary-sweet and rich-sweet. No Mike and Ikes, pixie sticks, or Skittles for me. However, I'll take a Heath bar any day of the week. I have also taken to eating marshmallows straight from the bag, and typically I have the willpower to let them get stale overnight for a day or two. Or I just forget about them.

And of course a can of cake frosting can last me a week or two.

I am sorry to hear your father is struggling; 61 is so young.

Thanks for posting. Welcome to the forum. Good to hear from you.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
norskheks

Post by norskheks »

I've been addicted to chocolate and potato/tortilla chips (really, any combination of fat, sugar, and/or salt) since I was 10. I'm like you, oak -- "fruity" sweet things are easy for me to avoid. I think it's because there's no fat in them. Hell, a can of frosting can last you a week?! Damn, one will last me maybe a few days. :?

I have had type 1 diabetes since I was 8, soooo obviously a food addiction has kind of severe consequences for me. My endocrinologist is about ready to give up on me, and I don't blame him. I think treating my body badly, and knowing if I keep doing it I will die, is part of it. Part of me wants to die, and if I die of diabetes complications people won't say I selfishly committed suicide (even if it's true). Part of me wants to feel that severely uncomfortable thirst and irritation that comes with high blood sugar, because I think I deserve it. Part of it is also that I'm really angry at my body for failing me, for not letting me be a "normal" kid, so it's like I'm punishing it.

WebMD says, "Chromium might help keep blood sugar levels normal by improving the way our bodies use insulin" and is appropriate for all types of diabetes. Hmm, I might look into it further. Thanks, mentalfraud, and thanks for sharing! :mrgreen:
anooshaka

Post by anooshaka »

Amazon shopping is one way that I manage my anxiety. I get a little positive rush during the shopping and during the receiving and opening of the package, and playing with the new toy. It is a nice distraction from anxiety. But it is not helpful in long run; in fact, it can be quite harmful because I only have so much room, and spending so much is so shameful.

Return to “Addictive Substances”