Immigrant Children

Create a new topic if it isn't listed.
bigeekgirl
Issues: depression/anxiety. co-dependence, disordered eating/using food to cope
preferred pronoun: she

Immigrant Children

Post by bigeekgirl »

Man, I'm so triggered by this situation. It's unthinkable that anyone is okay with these kids being taken from their parents - let alone some of my friends and family. I usually do a good job keeping myself out of politics, but this is not political. To hear people taking "sides" along the Democrat and Republican or liberal and conservative lines is maddening. Who the fuck cares who enacted a policy that's cruel and against basic human rights? As long as it's fixed and those families supported with the complications this has added, it doesn't matter in the least. PTSD is inevitable. I keep hearing America must take care of it's own, but we're not lacking resources; We are lacking basic empathy for the "other."

I'm going to the protest on 6/30 in my city and I've called my senator, will continue to do so as this progresses. I'll be making a donation to the ACLU just to piss off my family members who are part of the religious right.
oak

Re: Immigrant Children

Post by oak »

Thank you for sharing, BGG.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

I've been feeling the same way about this issue, bigeekgirl.

I'm relieved that at least I don't live near my most extremely religious/conservative relatives any more so I'm not hearing their opinions about it.

Did you attend the event on 6/30? I went to an event in the county where I live. There are children being held here in some type of mental health facility, and adults being held in jails. The crowd at the event I attended was expected to be about 2000 people, and after 20 minutes or so I left because I didn't feel emotionally up to being around that many strangers.

I'm glad that the issue is getting more attention now and will do the small things I can to help out, but the whole situation is still disturbing to me.
bigeekgirl

Post by bigeekgirl »

I ended up not going to my local event. I just wasn't up to being up and out early in the heat - I live in the South - on the day after I lost my job. My activism had to stay online for that particular day. It was very much a matter of putting my own oxygen mask on first which is what it sounds like you did in leaving the gathering you attended. I'm proud of you for going out in the first place. It counts.
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

Aww, thanks bgg. I was telling myself I was selfish for not staying.

I know this isn't supposed to be a political forum, but it feels like this administration is different than any I've lived through before.
bigeekgirl

Post by bigeekgirl »

I feel the same way. Plus, we know where Paul stands.

I felt slightly weird about posting it, on one hand. On the other hand, it's hard to call protecting children from mistreatment political.
oak

Post by oak »

Thank you for sharing BGG.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “The Mental Burden of a Non-Mental Health Issue”