Mother's Day Blues

Before posting a new topic, make sure a similar one doesn't already exist here or in another forum thread more specific to the issue.
adastra
Issues: emotional physical abuse, neglect, sexual trauma self-harm anorexia
preferred pronoun: she

Mother's Day Blues

Post by adastra »

Hi everyone,
This is my first mother's day post fallout with my mother, I've been feeling terrible about it all week. She was extremely toxic, manipulative and just all around bad news?
Anyone else relate or have tips on how to deal with holidays without a family member? I don't know how to explain to others when asked "what are your plans on sunday with your mom?" looking for any suggestions or shared experiences
Murphy
Issues: Depression, Social Anxiety, Rumination

Re: Mother's Day Blues

Post by Murphy »

I haven't experienced this, but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry that you're going through it.

Can you maybe just tell people that you & your mom aren't close and leave it at that? I would imagine that people who are asking casually probably wouldn't pry any more into that.
Any care that keeps you from your feet is a care that carries your defeat
meagunn
Issues: anxiety, depression, sexual trauma, abuse
preferred pronoun: she

Re: Mother's Day Blues

Post by meagunn »

Oh boy. It's hard, and I can relate. The "Well, me and my mom aren't close" response only goes so far, and for me personally I feel kind of like an asshole when I use it, since it's confirming something I wish weren't true. My mom is also extremely toxic, and I have been able to go non-contact with her for the past year so far. This Mother's Day, I am trying to remind myself that you can't go back to a dry well to get water.

It's hard to avoid other people asking about it, if they do (which they really shouldn't; family stuff isn't anyone's business). But to deal with it on your own, I'd suggest doing something for yourself. Something special that you really enjoy. Hell, turn it into a freedom celebration if you want. Or just eat something good and go watch a movie. Get your mind off stuff.

This Mother's Day, I'm going hiking. Without my mom.

Return to “Family Troubles”