Ladysquid's Diary

Feel free to comment on other people's diary entries, but start a new thread click "post a new topic" to write about your own life. Title the thread the name of your username. Like "XXXXX's Diary"
ladysquid
Issues: social and generalized anxiety, addictive tendencies, depression
preferred pronoun: she/her

Re: Ladysquid's Diary

Post by ladysquid »

Hello Again,

Well, I guess a lot has changed since my last post. My sex life and relationship has improved with a lot of talking - sometimes it's good to get perspective.

Now I have a whole new world of anxiety, my sister is having a baby. I'm going to have a niece in only a few more days. Her and her husband have always wanted kids and I'm so happy for them...but I can't help but selfishly feel annoyed? Maybe angry, even?

I thought that by living a 6 hour drive away from my family and FINALLY cutting all financial support from my mom, I was FREE.

Now here comes a brand new ball and chain of guilt and uncomfortable feelings. Now I have a brand new obligation to see this yet untainted member of my family and deal with everyone else.

Not only that, I'm just uncomfortable with how my niece will grow up. I don't want to play the "I go to therapy so therefore I know everything" game but honestly, now more than ever, I keep noticing how critical and downright mean my mother is when it comes to my sister's husband (of 10+ years!) and just her suffocating level of constant busyness combined with superiority - MOM KNOWS BEST. PERIOD. I remember how much my parents would openly criticize other children for being "wild" or screaming and crying and it makes me sick to think this will be passed down yet again. Emotional invalidation was our bread and butter.

My sister's husband cut contact with his emotionally toxic family but somehow willingly takes the sarcastic comments about his job, his eating habits etc etc from my parents. My sister also tends to make light of my dad's emotional distance and sarcasm and takes all my mom's criticism as the gospel. She is 6 years older than me but even now that the childhood squabbles are over I still feel distant from her because of her role as "mom #2." I don't dare question mom around her and I have consistently gotten "mom is worried about you because blahblahblah" phone calls from her when mom was emotionally unequipped to speak to me directly.

My girlfriend keeps reminding me that this is out of my control. Whatever amount of contact my sister and her family choose to have with my parents is not something that is up to me and I should just let it go. I keep hearing Paul's mantra that your feelings around people matter...and I don't feel good around my parents. I'm hoping I will be able to spend more time with my sister and my soon to be niece when I go up to visit on labor day weekend but I know we will all be together at some point. I think my mom can sense my distance but who knows... in my 4 years of living away from home, she has never called me. I always called her out of guilt. I'm just done with it. Now that I no longer have her money hanging over my head she can fuck off. I just hope she won't cry to my sister and upset her instead of oh, I don't know, connecting emotionally with her other daughter?

God help this little baby. At least my girlfriend and I will be there when she hopefully decides to leave that shit show.

Family roles, am I right? :evil:
Imissmysun
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, past trauma healing,
preferred pronoun: she

Post by Imissmysun »

Firstly, I love your name...

Secondly of course you have compassion and anxiety over a little baby coming into dysfunction - I mean I am sure that my sisters thought I was crazy for having children and then starting a relationship with a guy with a whole team of children and then deciding to have another child as well they knew I was the poster child for crazy in my family - however I am taking steps to make it work -

I am so happy to hear that you are healing your relationship and honestly I guess we are supposed to do that talk thing on a regular basis and say hi partner - these are my needs and said partner says these are my needs - and then you are supposed to help eachother with them - my issue is that I have WICKED codependence issues and I have a hard time thinking that I have needs let alone thinking of them and then talking about them is near impossible - so that is my struggle - I have been working on it -

You seem like a super cool person - your writing sounds like a super talent that you should just own and be ok with deeply inside you - the unfortunate thing about the internet is that people get to vomit up all kinds of things in comments - most of it is their own garbage - that hate stuff needs to get put in a box called not my stuff - grabbing that comment and holding onto it is like grabbing a grenade pulling the pin and swallowing it -

But keep up the awesome work!
Just another messed up chick, who hates her body and face, and voice, and thinks she is useless and her stuff isn't that bad and she should get over it.
-Sarah St. Lunatic
hobojungle
Issues: Depression. Anxiety. Agoraphobia. Possible ASD.
preferred pronoun: Lady

Post by hobojungle »

Welcome to the Cool Aunt Club Ladysquid. I am so glad this baby will have you in her life. Kids are perceptive. Your niece will notice you act differently from the rest of your family. What a gift you are giving her just by your example--showing her people are able to work towards emotional wellness & how wonderful that is as opposed to the alternatives.

Love,
HoboJungle
I am acceptable; you are acceptable.
ladysquid
Issues: social and generalized anxiety, addictive tendencies, depression
preferred pronoun: she/her

Post by ladysquid »

Reading these posts from years ago has made me see how much and how little has changed about my life.

The drinking has stopped almost entirely. I'm still not sure I'm ready to give it up completely but I've realized nothing good comes from drinking at home so I don't have alcohol in the house anymore.

My relationship still isn't perfect - still a lot of arguing over household chores and money but I think we're both more willing to step back and talk about it calmly after a blowup.

Sex life isn't great still but I think it has a lot to do with stress levels and bad diet...we've both gained a lot of weight and it's hard to feel sexual when you're bloated all the time..trying to make changes but it's hard.

I guess mostly I just feel tired. I've worked on so many things. I stopped therapy for a while but now I feel like I'm back at square 1. I have a job I like that pays well but it's more demanding and it's ramping up my social anxiety to the point where I vomited at work after what I can only guess was a migrane.

I feel hopeless a lot. Especially when I read news about the environment...and honestly every time people bring up how "crazy the weather has been" it makes me feel so terrified for the future. What is it going to be like when we don't have seasons anymore? That's something I've been ruminating on a lot over the past year. I have tried to volunteer and take actions to help but it feels so futile.

So instead I binge eat and stay up too late so that I can be a zombie at work and try to float through the day...I think sometimes when I'm overtired I don't have enough energy to be anxious. I wish I could sleep all weekend but my anxiety doesn't let me. I get so wrapped up in little tasks that I can control so I feel like I'm doing something when really I'm just avoiding the bigger picture - I'm depressed. I feel overwhelmed and scared most of the time. I'm trying so hard to live differently but damn it feels impossible.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Please take care. Don't give up - you are worth it!

I have been struggling with overwhelm lately too. One thing that has been helping me is thinking on this: "I don't have to like activity to do it - I can do this"

All the best.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress

Return to “Dear Diary”