Five Facts.

Feel free to comment on other people's diary entries, but start a new thread click "post a new topic" to write about your own life. Title the thread the name of your username. Like "XXXXX's Diary"
HowDidIGetHere
Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Five Facts.

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

Bonus entry:

I've been reading up on DBT and the more I read, the more I notice that a lot of the skills they teach are similar to the spiritual techniques (especially the Buddhist ones) that I became interested in several years ago. I am usually a believer in knowing without knowing. I wonder if that's what's been going on.

PS -- this song has been making me cry fairly regularly lately. https://youtu.be/Dv3EQXDrK3I
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

WTF Just Happened?—a new web magazine on coming out as mentally ill.
oak

Post by oak »

Thanks for sharing. I hope your socks and food situations improve.

Both are very important.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
HowDidIGetHere
Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

Elsewhere, Beany described a particular negative thought pattern that only lasted until 1pm. I often have similar time limits to particular thought trains. What could that be about? I'm reasonably sure of my bipolar II diagnosis on a year-long time frame, but daily? That's too much.

I decided to cash out my IRA. It'll be about $12K when I get it and it's going all to housing. It will also put me at 45 years old and starting from scratch for retirement. I've known people from the program who have been in the same boat, so I have reason to believe it's survivable. However, it will demand that I stop underperforming and get a job with a salary appropriate to my 20 years' experience.

Job hunting while feeling like shit on God's shoe, not easy.
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

HowDidIGetHere

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

I have a tattoo around my left wrist that says "wisdom, courage, strength" in Irish, written in Ogham, the historical druid alphabet. I've always wanted a companion for my right wrist, but couldn't think of one.

I think I have a good idea, though.

Inspired by the semicolon used by people who have survived suicidal thoughts or actions, I'm thinking of the phrase "Ní Inniu," which is "not today" in Irish. Up the inside of my right wrist roughly mirroring the scars on the inside of my left wrist.

Simple message. "Not today."

HowDidIGetHere

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

Going to look at a room today. I expect it will be wonderful, but we won't take it. Probably won't be able to afford it, but also because it's in a part of town my partner has some history with.

Plus, she's been talking about wanting to go to Florida for a month to "rest." I don't need rest. I need a bed and a therapist and a mood stabilizer.

oak

Post by oak »

Thank you for sharing. I am always glad to see you posting. You're a survivor.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
HowDidIGetHere

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

I'm really not. I'm just here.

I learned why I'm still alive today. It's called the hypercapnic alarm response. It's your body's response to an excess of carbon dioxide in the blood, usually in the form of a physical convulsion.

Screw you, hypercapnic alarm response.

Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

I was zoning out at the bus stop and my focus fell on a guy across the street, methodically going through a trash can. I thought of you.

This guy drew me in. He was fishing out plastic drink bottles, emptying them, then transferring the contents of one he'd prepared earlier into several fresh empty ones. The color of the contents had the quality of many types of drinks, mixed. Then he carefully put one in a crevice and disappeared down an alley with the rest. Then the bus arrived and where he was, I was now affronted by my own reflection in the bus window. As the bus passed the alley I looked down it but he was gone.

I distinctly remember thinking in that moment, "Who am I?"
Last edited by Beany Boo on June 22nd, 2017, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
HowDidIGetHere

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

One thing I've noticed around here is just how much the other street people drink. And how long it takes them to scrape up the money to do it. At some point between about 1:00pm and 4:30pm, every trash can in the square gets topped with a layer of black plastic baggies with empty 40 oz cans. It's like daily archeology. Tree rings.

HowDidIGetHere

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

'I distinctly remember thinking in that moment, "Who am I?"'

I find this a distinctly dangerous and troubling question for myself.

Return to “Dear Diary”