Assertiveness diary: ongoing.

Feel free to comment on other people's diary entries, but start a new thread click "post a new topic" to write about your own life. Title the thread the name of your username. Like "XXXXX's Diary"
oak

Re: Assertiveness diary: ongoing.

Post by oak »

Thanks Rivergirl!

You're good vibes must have traveled across much of America, because I tentatively have a probably date!

I'll put this thread on temporary hiatus for about ten days, for reasons I'll explain below.

More important than a date, as important as a date is, I have my pride back: yesterday, at a social event, I started to get signals from someone who I don't mind saying is fine.

When I strategically turned away from her (but didn't walk away), ostensibly to talk to someone else, first she started touching her hair, then stroking her hair, then vigorously tossing it. I chickened out when her friends, a moment later, said that they were going someplace nearby and she should join them in a few minutes. I mean, just giving me all sorts of green lights to ask her out. I didn't.

Remembering that I promised in this forum thread to invite out any woman who gave me a signal of interest, I later planted myself where I knew she'd walk by eventually. I resolved not to move until I invited her out. I was taking a stand for myself.

She walked by, I beckoned her over (and did she look fine, ooh) and in a wishy-washy, but fairly clear, way invited her out. I didn't get her number :| but we did make tentative plans.

I am putting this thread in hibernation for about ten days: I've accomplished, however imperfectly and slowly, my initial goals: a new baseline for honesty with my employer, people I am attracted to, and family. I am going to be busy with work for the next ten days, but soon thereafter I have two big big assertiveness events:

1. My first meeting with a life coach.

2. (Eventually) My annual review. This should be a respectful but spirited barnburner.

Thanks for reading and encouraging. There have been many times I've only taken action IRL because I said I would here. Many times I chanted "Manuel Moe, Rivergirl, Brown Blob, How Did I Get Here" as a mantra to encourage myself (this happened naturally!).

===

Here's the thing: now and then, little by little, I've found myself doing things "because this is what assertive people do".

In other words, I went from doing something because it was an assertiveness test, to being the kind of person who effects principled action because of who that person is.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
oak

Post by oak »

I am continuing with my hiatus posting here for another few weeks.

More and more assertiveness is coming naturally to me. I am confronting condescension. People like me better.

I've handled most of the daily, smaller confrontations that needed to be helped.

Having resolved the small talk, I am ready for Big Talk:

1. To my sister: "I will not accept you speaking to me in a condescending manner".

2. To my boss: "Regarding our extensive discussions last year, I have competed my responsibilities as we agreed. Now I want you to supply me with [benefit] we agreed on."

3. To the person I am in love with: "I am in love with you."

The first will happen next time my sister orders me around. I'm done with her.

The second will happen suddenly, once I have walkaway power: another job offer.

The third will happen...someday??

Because of the trajectories of both of our lives, I've known for years that 2017 (with diminishing returns of 2018 and 2019) would be my time to make my move. There are a lot of moving parts, and I need to make my move at the right time. Most of my day, day to day, is spent maneuvering to make this play. Nothing else matters.

---

I've made a note to post again a month from today.
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
oak

Post by oak »

Brief update:

1. I am meeting this week, for the first time ever, with a life coach. For what they're charging me, she better be good at helping me help myself to date more and confront my financial problems. Update later this week.

2. I've not stood up to my condescending sister yet, but I will if she ever talks to me like a lackey again.

3. I stood up to my supervisors twice in the last month, for small but important examples of when they were trying to play me for a sucker. Standing up to them gets easier because, in their appalling laziness, they keep trying to foist work onto me that we've already agreed are not my duties.

I've created a new boundary with them, which is important because in what remains of 2017 there are two main event, big deal confrontations likely: due to employees leaving, they're likely to try (again) to put these duties on me with no pay. The other, a happier outcome, is if I stay diligent in my free time, I can slap a job offer on my boss's desk in a few months, either to move on with respect or to radically and fundamentally re-negotiate my position (essentially: "Give me all the things you promised me, by the end of the day, or I'll leave").

4. There's much more I could say about her, but declaring my love for the person specified is neither here nor there now. I built her up in mind, and she DGAF about me, or at least not enough to get back to me ("ghosting" I think the kids call it). I just sent her a kind and heartfelt "Bye, Felicia" message. I wish her well, but it is still "Bye, Felicia".

Updates this week!
oak

Post by oak »

Today is my appointment with my life coach!

I hope she can advise me.

What's more important is that, at age 41, I am doing something, that is spending money and taking time, purely for my own pleasure. For the best part of me.

I had to stuff down, ignore, and compromise who I was as I was fighting out of working poverty. Had I effected half measures in this effort I'd still be working poor, and in no shape to do any of this.

Still, the side of me that craves sunshine, healthier food, time off, nature, travel, and sex kept popping up in my psyche.

Since getting sober nine years ago, my life (which was in essence my work life) has been all about making others' lives better and more convenient. As I've served others I have been generously rewarded with what used to be known as the middle class in America: a big step up!

I have proven that I am someone worthy of enjoying hard, satisfying, long, challenging work. I love work, and while I don't intend to work forever, I do enjoy giving everything of myself. "Work is love made visible."

I am also learning that I am worthy of pleasure: wholesome food, fresh air and sunshine, beautiful clothes, exercise, making friends, dating, sex. I am still working on all of these.

Update later today about my big day! Thanks for listening.

----

Edit:

Update: It was great! It was both overpriced and worth every penny. She gave me instructions on how to be more authentic. In practice, this will include inviting out women I'm attracted to. This will take courage!

She clearly, kindly, and emphatically instructed me to invite out both attractive blond yummy mummies at the grocery store and the fine girl at the gym. She told me to think less and act more.

I'm scared!

But excited. I can dream. She gave me air.

Updates to follow.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Oak wrote:She told me to think less and act more.
This is cool! You have great successes in your future! :D
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
oak

Post by oak »

Thanks Manuel Moe!

Ten minutes ago I stood up to my sister.

She tried to shame me, to make her mood my reality. I raised my arms and said: "Hey! This is me. You can accept me or not!"

It feels awesome.
oak

Post by oak »

A small and satisfying example of assertiveness:

Two weeks ago, when the dental hygienist was just trying to do her job, she asked me several times to open my mouth wider.

"No."

I said this when I realized that, no, I couldn't open my mouth any wider. Having gone from discomfort to pain, I knew where my line now was. Right here.

I wasn't a jerk, but I couldn't open my mouth any further, and I plainly said so. That is one of the beautiful experiences of this assertiveness experience: the true is often simple.

I felt great comfort and accomplishment from this experience. It was very satisfying.
oak

Post by oak »

I invited someone out today!

I invited her out for a Nutella crepe, and she gave a tentative yes.

I sort of doubt she'll show, but it feels great to hear someone say "yes".

I asked her out because my life coach suggested I invite out people I'm attracted to.

Likewise, I invited the gorgeous blond grocery store manager out to a farmers market. She declined, but very kindly. It seemed, almost, like she was impressed I invited her out.

-----
Edit/Update

She didn't show. I was disappointed, of course, but I am glad I went, hoping she would show, because that demonstrates faith.

The flip side of the assertiveness coin is being told "no", just I am willing to tell others "no".

Still, I am very grateful she gave a tentative yes. There is nothing like hearing yes after a bunch of no's.

I'll also continue to eat well and exercise my core. I want to give her something to look at the next time I see her, and perhaps even regret (playfully!).
Namu
Issues: Frustration with life's rules, which seem arbitrary and too hard
preferred pronoun: she

Post by Namu »

Hello, oak. Kudos to you for all the sustained attention and follow-through on Project Assertiveness!

I'm sorry to hear you got stood up. I admire your positive attitude, but I feel a bit growly toward Nutella No-Show. Grr. Not nice.

Using that experience as a springboard for further self-care sounds brilliant.

And belated congratulations for taking care of yourself against the current of your sister's abuse! I like your phrase, that she "tried to make her mood my reality." Wah. I think that depiction will help me name it the next time that sort of garbage gets dumped on me. Thanks for that.

Keep up the good work.

; ^)

Namu
oak

Post by oak »

Thanks, Namu!

I really appreciate your encouragement!

Things will go better next time.

Return to “Dear Diary”