Frustration with negativity of 12 step program.

This is a great way to begin using the site and to give us a chance to get to know you. We can't connect with you if we don't know what's going on with you!
Utopia
Issues: Depression and addiction
preferred pronoun: She

Frustration with negativity of 12 step program.

Post by Utopia »

I have been attending 12 step program meetings for 13 years. I finally had my second 3 year anniversary last year. I am afraid to not attend meetings because the last time I stopped I ended up going out and staying out for 8 years. It was a road to hell to get back and almost died in the process. My problem is I hate going to these meetings. I hate the negativity and high school behavior in the rooms. I don't believe in God but do have a higher power. It is not supposed to be a religious program but there is a lot of god talk that goes on. I can't stand the "shoulds" that everyone want to put on you. Why can't we celebrate our accomplishments instead of leaving the meeting feeling like I'm a failure. I tried an agnostic meeting and all they did was talk about not talking about God. I also don't like woman and you get shit for hanging with the guys, or they think you are interested in them. I have looked into alternative programs but cannot find any in my area. I did find one about an hour away and emailed the contact person. They answered me asking for a zip code for my area but never heard back again. I'm hoping to move out to Arizona in a year or so and it looks like there are more options there but don't know what to do in the meantime. I hear you talking on the podcast with your guy friends about the bonding you have experienced and helping each other and it makes me jealous and sad. I have a sponcer but she disassociates and is caught up in her own issues. Sorry to whine. And please don't say what are you doing to make things better. I have tried to make friends. I have tried to help others and get out of myself and I have tried many different meeting and run into the same religious zealots and catty groups of women. Don't know what to do. Guys girl heathen.
Christatoonist
Issues: Panic w/agoraphobia, gen. anxiety, major depression, gender dysphoria
preferred pronoun: she/her

Re: Frustration with negativity of 12 step program.

Post by Christatoonist »

I can't imagine. I know from bad support groups, but not chemical addiction. All I can suggest is that you do everything you can to keep your sobriety. Groups change over time. But your sobriety is something you can't let change. Best wishes and hopes!

Return to “Introducing yourself!”