New guy without a mental illness

This is a great way to begin using the site and to give us a chance to get to know you. We can't connect with you if we don't know what's going on with you!
human_bean

New guy without a mental illness

Post by human_bean »

Hello,

I just recently discovered this podcast and it has blown me away. I can't stop listening. I don't suffer from mental illness myself (at least I don't think I do), but I have many family and friends who struggle with it to varying degrees. Maybe that's part of why I'm so enraptured by it. I'm brought to tears almost every episode, especially during those moments when he reads a survey in which someone is putting themselves down and Paul says he's sure everyone listening to this just wants to give them a hug and express nothing but love to them, despite what they think. All I can do is shout "YES, EXACTLY!!"

As a person who wants to help, this podcast has already taught me so much valuable information. At the very least, I think Paul provides an excellent template for how to positively interact with people with mental illness. I am so grateful to him and to everyone else who has contributed to make it all possible. You guys rock! :clap:

And now, I have a question to ask. Busy as I am, I would like to devote some of my time to help out strangers and facilitate the healing process. I'm aware that one of biggest ways to help is by talking to other people who can relate so people don't have to feel alone with their problems. Since I can't really provide that, what else can I do? Is there any volunteer work needed for mental illness?
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Re: New guy without a mental illness

Post by brownblob »

I'm sure this is human bean. I would just try and search and see if there are any local groups in your area or you can try NAMI which is a national group that probably has a local chapter where you live. :clap:
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Hi human_bean

I'm glad people like you are interested in mental illness and want to do more to help! You seem to have a gift of empathy. I don't know what you do now, but if you can afford to switch careers, maybe becoming a therapist might be great. If not, there's a ton of ways you can help your community. I believe that a lot of people out there are suffering with various mental issues. Just being a caring, considering person and saying something nice to random people is a way to help. As far as volunteering, many homeless people suffer mental illnesses, you could help out in the soup kitchens and just try to connect with them. You don't need to be going through something in order to help others. Just listening, empathizing, and giving them love will help people tremendously. There's hospitals, nursing homes, handicapped facilities, etc. There's so many people that would benefit from people like you.

If fact, I think it's better that you are not mentally ill. I would like to volunteer, but I've got my own issues that are weighing me down. Good luck!
Imissmysun
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, past trauma healing,
preferred pronoun: she

Post by Imissmysun »

Thank you for your amazing compassion and heart - and while having something in common with someone helps build trust and bonding - BUT it is always nice to have someone who is not currently in your situation reach out and just listen - and just be present - have empathy and kindness - and give outside perspective - the most insidious part of these issues is that it is inside the mind and you can circle think yourself into a pit - its awful and sometimes you just need a hand to pull you out of that mind game -

Let us know what you find and any stories of meeting and helping people
Just another messed up chick, who hates her body and face, and voice, and thinks she is useless and her stuff isn't that bad and she should get over it.
-Sarah St. Lunatic

Return to “Introducing yourself!”