Feel like I found a fountain in a desert...

This is a great way to begin using the site and to give us a chance to get to know you. We can't connect with you if we don't know what's going on with you!
NGM
Issues: Anxiety, emotional avoidance
preferred pronoun: He

Feel like I found a fountain in a desert...

Post by NGM »

Hi everyone...I'll try and keep this intro short.

I don't really have a lot of friends I can talk to about my struggle with anxiety. I only just admitted to myself that I need help. I had a pretty normal childhood, no major traumatic experiences, and a relatively normal family. I am the youngest of three sons and the self appointed overachiever. It has only started to dawn on me recently that my drive to constantly achieve is most likely linked to my struggle with anxiety...at its core, I just want people to like me, which can come at the expense of liking myself.

I am starting therapy in a few days and am really optimistic at the moment. I am also a bit nervous, mainly about my expectations being too high. I know rationally that my anxiety will be with me for the duration of my life...I just hope to frame it in a more positive perspective.
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Re: Feel like I found a fountain in a desert...

Post by brownblob »

Welcome to the forum. Being positive is a good thing. I hope your therapy goes well.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
Jitterz
Issues: Anxiety, panic disorder, ADD, body image, and depression
preferred pronoun: She

Re: Feel like I found a fountain in a desert...

Post by Jitterz »

It's good you're starting therapy. You're taking the right steps. I go to therapy every Saturday. What to expext??? A lot of hard work on your end outside of therapy. Sometimes I get annoyed with my therapist but i know she's right. Im in CBT which focuses on changing your behaviors and rewiring your negative thinking patterns to positive basically. And taking baby steps towards the things and or situations that trigger your anxiety! I expected therapy to be like some magic wand but boy it is tough...and takes a lot of time and PATIENCE and journaling...but it's so worth it even though at times it gets super frustrating. You can do it though :D If you feel like you're not clicking with your therapist after about four or five sessions find a new one. PM me if you ever wanna vent or just talk...I can definitely relate to what you're going through. *hugs
"I am trying-I am trying to explore my unconscious wishes and fears, trying to lift the barrier of repression, of self-deception, that controls my everyday self." ~Sylvia Plath

Return to “Introducing yourself!”