Going to appointments?

Discuss getting together with other listeners on your own or at a live MIHH event
MariaElizabeth
Issues: Depression and anxiety

Going to appointments?

Post by MariaElizabeth »

Just throwing this out there based on my experience.

When I went to my 1st doctor’s appointment, when I got my diagnosis, I was completely alone. I had nobody there. And it kind of sucked. I would have killed for someone to wait with me before/be there after, even if it was just small talk.

Does anyone else ever need someone to sit with them? I live in the Portland, OR area, and if I am not working I would be willing to be there if anyone needs it.

Not an “event”, but thought I would throw this out there.
bigeekgirl
Issues: depression/anxiety. co-dependence, disordered eating/using food to cope
preferred pronoun: she

Re: Going to appointments?

Post by bigeekgirl »

Not local to you, but that's an amazing idea. It would really become a living version of what Paul says about the podcast - a waiting room that doesn't suck.
MariaElizabeth

Post by MariaElizabeth »

A real life version of that would be awesome.

I’ve got my very 1st therapy appointment on March 23rd. 1st as an adult, anyway, haven’t seen anyone since high school. It’s within walking distance of my house, but I am a little scared.
MariaElizabeth

Post by MariaElizabeth »

Maybe Paul could bring it up in the next podcast?
bigeekgirl
Issues: depression/anxiety. co-dependence, disordered eating/using food to cope
preferred pronoun: she

Post by bigeekgirl »

Maybe. He's pretty responsive to emails and Facebook messages, but not super active on here, in my experience.

If it helps, I'm always a little nervous before appointments. It's better with my therapist now as I've been seeing her for a year, but doctors, anything like that, or first appointments with a new therapist. Fear of the unknown, a situation where I have to explain myself and fear not be believed.
TonyM_Guest
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, Emotional Neglect, Pure-O, Covert Incest
preferred pronoun: he/him/his

Post by TonyM_Guest »

I really jive with this idea. I think it's amazing and would be willing to offer my time to be with folks. I'm in Denver metro.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Hi,

I think it is so kind of you to offer to sit and wait with someone who needs it. I am so sorry that you were all alone when you first went to your doctor's office... I really hate going to my mental doctor. I feel so much more vulnerable and it feels like the doctor doesn't care (unless you have an amazing doctor!) My husband came with me every time, but I don't know what I would do if I had to go at it myself. I think you are very brave for having gone alone. You have a very big heart for reaching out to others. We need more people like you in this world :)

Love,
Brooke

Return to “Listener Events”