Bridgetown Comedy Festival

Discuss getting together with other listeners on your own or at a live MIHH event
serious_oregon

Re: Bridgetown Comedy Festival

Post by serious_oregon »

Not to bogart this forum section, but here are some of my Loves and Fears (as per requested by the host). I did 10 each. Thanks for reading :)
Love:
I love reaching out and petting my dog with one hand and my cat with the other.
I love the mixed smell of leaves, rain, and a wood stove in the fall .
I love knowing that when I send a text saying, "I'm on my way home" there will always be a return text saying "Yay! xoxo".
I love the feel of freshly shaved legs on crisp, cotton sheets.
I love hearing my cat snore.
I love my girlfriend's voice when she calls me on the phone.
I love my best friend because she's been my best for almost 30 yrs. We never fight and are amazing travel companions.
I love that my dog Misha came to me in a dream after she died to let me know she was healthy and happy and now a companion to my father.
I love hearing a cacophony of birds first thing in the morning when I step outside.
I love when it snows and the world becomes quiet.

Fear:
I fear my creativity has been stifled and that all my art & music projects will never be completed, or...started.
I fear losing my 14 yr. old cat every day because she's been my best friend and companion through some of the worst periods of my life in the last 12 yrs.
I fear that I will inherit the Alzheimer's gene that took my father 10 yrs ago.
I fear the trust I have rebuilt with someone close over the past 2 years will be shattered by them picking up a beer.
I fear the next time I travel outside my state that my anxiety will envelope me to the point that I won't be able to enjoy, and or finish my trip.
I fear a debt collector is going to turn up from my past and sue me, even though I know I have taken care of my debts.
I fear my business endeavor will fail and my chances of a savings and retirement account will cease to exist and thus, I too, will fail to provide for my family's future.
I fear I will somehow encounter my abuser and not be able to say everything I've held in for the last 35 years because I will be terrified and totally out of my body. (Or I'll go completely bat shit crazy and kill the son of a bitch.)
I fear that I will encounter sleep paralysis again and have to endure the absolute terror instilled in me for what seemed like an eternity by an old hag and a gollum sitting on my chest. (One of the most terrifying experiences of my 43 years.)
I fear that the afterlife I believe in will turn out to actually be a Christian Heaven or Hell, and I'll get the hotter of the two.

Sal a.k.a serious_oregon
"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." - Legendary singer/songwriter/poet Patti Smith
Nevina

Post by Nevina »

Thanks everyone! Just real quick before I go to work -

I'm coming down from Seattle so where I am at will depend on whether I'm at/near the hotel in Gresham or near the theaters. I'll have to lay out the schedule on paper this weekend so I can map out where I'll be at any particular time. :)

Erm, more later! Gotta get ready now.
When life gives you shit, make shitade.
serious_oregon

Post by serious_oregon »

Gresham, eh? Whoa. That's the suburb furthest east. Complete opposite of me. Maybe you could take the Max downtown and we could meet there? Let us know. We'll make it work one way or another. Go team MIHH_OR!

Word.
"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." - Legendary singer/songwriter/poet Patti Smith
Paul Gilmartin
Issues: Depression, Alcoholism, Drug Addiction, Incest Survivor
preferred pronoun: He

Post by Paul Gilmartin »

Whatever surveys or forum excerpts you want to bring is cool. I want a real "Me Too" experience so people who wrote these things know we feel them. Plus it's a good jumping off point for me to ask follow up questions with you guys. If you still have any questions, let me know.

Paul
http://mentalpod.comNothing degrades the quality of my life like obsessing about the quality of my life.
Paul Gilmartin

Post by Paul Gilmartin »

Maddy said it's okay to bring food to eat. BTW I would email her asap to reserve a spot as she just posted a thing on FB about it and people are starting to show interest. I want the forum peeps to not get shut out.

Paul
http://mentalpod.comNothing degrades the quality of my life like obsessing about the quality of my life.
Nevina

Post by Nevina »

serious_oregon wrote:Gresham, eh? Whoa. That's the suburb furthest east. Complete opposite of me. Maybe you could take the Max downtown and we could meet there? Let us know. We'll make it work one way or another. Go team MIHH_OR!

Word.
Huh. I was sure I was staying in Gresham, but the hotel has a Portland address. It's the Nordic Motel 11942 Ne Sandy Blvd. I'll be there Thursday night, then with a friend who does live in Gresham on Friday night, then with a friend who lives near most of the venues on Saturday night. Good times. Shouldn't be too difficult to meet up to get to the college. :D I've been super sick the last couple of days so I haven't done all my planning or made my lists or printed out surveys or AAAAHHHHH. But I will!
Paul Gilmartin wrote:Maddy said it's okay to bring food to eat. BTW I would email her asap to reserve a spot as she just posted a thing on FB about it and people are starting to show interest. I want the forum peeps to not get shut out.

Paul
I RSVP'd via email and signed up on the FB page. I'm a little nervous if most of the people don't listen to the podcast, but if that's true then hopefully this will just bring in more listeners! Or maybe they're listeners but not on the forum. Nervous. :roll:
serious_oregon

Post by serious_oregon »

Nevina: That indeed is Gresham, Northern Gresham. It is quite a ways out. As an example, downtown Portland is 1st street. You are on 122nd. Could you afford a taxi to the MAX line on 122nd & Burnside? It should be about 3 - 5 miles from where you are staying. That would take you straight into the heart of down town and I could pick you up. I have to work Thursday day, but there is a chance I could go out there to get you. If you are panicky around strange people/places and apprehensive, please say so. Like I said, we'll make it work one way or another ;)

I'm kind of bummed because I thought I had Saturday off, but I have to work during the afternoon until 6 pm. I'm still looking for coverage, but we have a small staff and people are hard to come by, so I am not sure if I will be able to attend the festivities. But Thursday is set.

Is there a fee for the MIHH at Lewis & Clark?

Peace out, brothers and sister.
Sal
Cheldoll
Issues: Depression, anxiety, anorexia, sexually abused
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Cheldoll »

I can pick you up Nevina, don't worry! Sent you a PM about it.

There's no fee for the Lewis & Clark event. Maddy even said there might be refreshments. Fuck yes.

Do you have Friday off too, Sal? I hope you can get someone to take your shift on Saturday!
xoxo,
Chel

" Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do,
care about many of the things you care about, although most people don't care about them.
You are not alone. " — Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Nevina

Post by Nevina »

You guys rock. All of you.
Paul Gilmartin

Post by Paul Gilmartin »

I'm so loving see you guys help each other out. It's tempting to fuck this up by saying there will be a $500 cover charge per person. And you have to wear a costume. And refer to me as "sir". And not make eye contact. That's how my comedian wants to deal with this unusual feeling of warmth, support, optimism and safety!

Chel will you still be able to give me a ride to the college?

Sal, sorry you have to work on Sat. I hope you can make the listener hangout after my show on Friday. Not sure where we'll do it, I'm hoping there's a place near where my show is. Do you guys use Twitter? That might be a good way to communicate last minute changes etc. My Twitter handle is @mentalpod

Paul

Return to “Listener Events”