Anti-racism

Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Anti-racism

Post by Beany Boo »

I’ve started treating the learning of anti-racism as a part of my recovery journey. This is prompted by events, by Paul’s survey, by Dr Imani’s podcast and other things which I figure would develop in a thread about it.

I’m listening to White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo. That’s my conscious starting point anyway. I recommend it even though it’s difficult to hear.

I’m also in a feminist online/offline book club. All the books so far have been by women of color. It’s a challenge for me to talk about the stories without constantly stumbling over my own biases.

I know that a good part of my anxiety all my life has been witnessing how people of difference have been treated, knowing that I am somehow responsible in an ongoing way and knowing that I keep failing to respond differently.

One thing I do know is, that when I do manage, judging from their feedback, to get the way I treat them, right, I feel amazing.

I don’t want to draw anyone into a debate they don’t want to have right now. Or, to give the idea that I am a ‘good person’ around this issue, or that I even know what I am talking about. But I feel like this conversation is a part of a mental health forum.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
Heatherwantspeace
preferred pronoun: she

Re: Anti-racism

Post by Heatherwantspeace »

Thanks for bringing this up, Beany Boo. It felt like a glaring omission to not have this on the boards considering what's going on in North America but I didn't know how to get the conversation started. You did a great job.

My journey started last year with an online seminar about confronting racism. I was surprised and skeptical when it all boiled down to "look at your attitudes, and sit with your discomfort". I actually thought I was there to help *other people* be less racist. :lol:
I started listening to a podcast called Yo, is this racist? and I did all the "but not me", and over time it sunk in and I'm just starting to be aware of my own bubble. I've had some real moments of shame. Healthy shame. I was discounting others' stories because it hadn't happened to me.
Heather
oak

Post by oak »

Well done!

A worthy pursuit.

Keep us posted as to what you are learning.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Heatherwantspeace
preferred pronoun: she

Post by Heatherwantspeace »

Read today in So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo:
rascism= racial prejudice backed by systems of power
Beany Boo

Post by Beany Boo »

I’ve finished ‘White Fragility’ and started ‘Me and White Supremacy’.

I get a feeling, feels a bit like heartbreak when I think that maybe I can actually do something about structural racism and that it’s up to me to work out what.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

oak

Post by oak »

If you haven't already, I suggest reading "Black Like Me".

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Like-John- ... 0451234219

Depending on your moral flexibility you might be able to find it as a free PDF online.

Either way, it is worth a read.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Beany Boo

Post by Beany Boo »

Thanks Oak,

This is off topic but someone sent this to me and I thought of you. Specifically I thought it might add another dimension to your planning. I hope it helps. Sorry if it doesn’t.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PHe0bXAIu ... e=youtu.be
Mr (blue) B. Boo

Return to “Discrimination”