Crazy AND a mental health professional - oh my!

Tell us something about yourself. Post as new topic.
LetsLiveLighter

Crazy AND a mental health professional - oh my!

Post by LetsLiveLighter »

Hi All,

I've been listening to the podcast for quite a while now, and have found it to be a huge source of a comfort, especially with respect to knowing that I'm not alone in having ever-present dark and twisty corners in my brain.

I've a master's degree in social work, and have recently started the process of logging hours toward my licensure to practice therapy. I'm also a "mental health blogger" - a creative venture largely inspired by this podcast - as well as a depressive personality with a dash of BPD.

In short, my world is greatly comprised of mental health issues, from a variety of perspectives, and I'm looking forward to continuing to broaden them by way of this community. It's great to see so many people unafraid to be honest with their thoughts, feelings and experiences. :D

Excited to get to know y'all!

Kelly
http://www.letslivelighter.com
Jenny Jump

Re: Crazy AND a mental health professional - oh my!

Post by Jenny Jump »

Welcome Kelly, it's good that you're here with us. I always like people who go into therapy as a profession that have existing issues-(provided they're working on theirs). It gives me hope.
"I know what I am, I know what you think I am, but I refuse to be that simple." -Nomy Lamm
LetsLiveLighter

Thanks, Jenny. I like to think (/hope) there are a lot more of us than we may realize ;)
ghughes1980
Issues: Physical disability, mental disability, depression, anxiety, PTSD
preferred pronoun: He

Post by ghughes1980 »

welcome to the forum! Nice start on the blog, it's well written and I will continue to read it. It's great to see that there really is a community surrounding this topic even if it can get a bit bleak at times.
LetsLiveLighter

Thank you very much! Support is thoroughly appreciated, especially in a community such as ours :D
AlmostWell

Post by AlmostWell »

Me too! I am a psychologist with a bit of crazy mixed in. Looking forward to conversations.
LetsLiveLighter

Always comforting to learn of more of us :) Thanks for the reply!
AlmostWell

Post by AlmostWell »

I think there are many more of us than people suspect. I think many many of us are attracted to this profession for a number of reasons: 1) we see ourselves in our clients, 2) we are searching for answers to our own crazy, and/or 3) we have developed these amazing skills to put our own emotions aside and be highly empathic to be of aid to others because that is what we had to do for our parents - which makes us crazy!

Return to “Introduce Yourself Here”