Hi

Tell us something about yourself. Post as new topic.
SpicyRamen

Hi

Post by SpicyRamen »

Hello,

I've enjoyed the Mental Illness Happy Hour for about nine months or so. Excellent show. I've can especially relate to the Maria Bamford and this week's Ashly Burch shows, because of the topic of unwanted thoughts and rumination. I've had anxiety and OCD-ish problems all my life, which often result in excessive fear, catastrophic thinking, anger, sadness, etc. I try hard to keep these problems to myself, as I don't want to burden my wife and the rest of my family. Anyway, I think this podcast and forum are a great, helpful resource for people. That's all I can think of to say at the moment.

Great to be here :D
PunchBrother

Re: Hi

Post by PunchBrother »

Welcome to the forum, Mr. Ramen :)

I'm new here too. I came here on the back of the program featuring Ashly Burch and Mentalpod struck me as a very supportive environment to be in.

Like yourself, I tend to keep my horrendous thought processes to myself. My ex-girlfriend is the only person I ever really opened up to about all that stuff, and don't really have anyone now. One good thing about that is that I'm so full to the brim with emotion that when it comes to expressing that in music or writing, there is a wealth of stuff to draw on. The drawback is that I struggle to hold things together in day to day life and get distracted a lot. Hard to concentrate on things when you're ruminating on the death of a relative that happened 10 years ago or whatever happens to pop into your head.

I hope you find somewhere here where you can share your experiences. I, for one, am here and listening.

PunchBrother
I'm named after the band whose music probably saved my life a little bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFtVeMQkWVI
SpicyRamen

Post by SpicyRamen »

Thank you, PunchBrother!
rebecca

Post by rebecca »

Hi,
Have you read the graphic novel 'the nao of brown'? your avatar picture looks like something from that book. If not, you should- it's a really inspirational book that deals with mental illness issues especially unwanted thoughts and is funny and beautiful too.
hope you find support and community here,
Rebecca.
SpicyRamen

Post by SpicyRamen »

I've never heard of that, Rebecca. I'll be sure to check it out! My avatar is the typical zen paint brush circle. :)
rebecca

Post by rebecca »

Oh my goodness... Of course it is! You're going to love that book- lots of zen buddhist stuff in it too.
If you do get 'round to reading it you must let me know what you think.
Rebecca.
SpicyRamen

Post by SpicyRamen »

I just ordered it on Amazon. :D
kikilala

Post by kikilala »

I love me some Bamford. Unwanted thoughts nearly ruined me at 18. I can remember the exact day and time that I "snapped"! They're not so bad now, but they do intrude, as is their wont.

Return to “Introduce Yourself Here”