First Post - Humble Intro

Tell us something about yourself. Post as new topic.
funnygumbo

First Post - Humble Intro

Post by funnygumbo »

Hello, forum! It's funny, I've thought about posting here for a while but now that I'm here I am not quite sure what to say...but I can start by talking about myself, that's easy right?

My name is Adam, I guess you don't need to know that but it's cool. I'm a longtime listener of the podcast, I can't remember exactly when I got into it but it was early on, probably because I heard Paul on another podcast and was interested in hearing more hard-hitting content than the casual conversations that are featured on most. I also have suffered from depression on and off most of my life and I immediately looooved hearing other peoples' stories, which, as per Paul's constant log-off line, made me feel infinitely less alone and also gave some perspective that my life is pretty good and there are a lot of people suffering out there.

Over the last year or so I've been able to get more of a handle on my depression, which thankfully does not seem to be chemical and is directly related to the actions I take in my life. I've been trying to meditate for a few years, just started doing yoga and am noticing the effects almost immediately. Highly recommend if you're just trying to get out of a rut! I hate carrying around that dumb mat but the actual practice is amazing heh.

Anyway, listening to Paul, the interviews, and all of those touching/brutal surveys has also inspired me to take a more active part in my community, especially now that I feel a little more grounded and confident in myself than I ever have before. Problem is my community is NYC which is a pretty overwhelming and isolating place. I really don't feel like I BELONG anywhere here, am constantly trying to prove to myself that I deserve to be here, all the while feeling selfish that I pretty much do nothing to help others when I know a lot of us are struggling every day. So I want to change that. I want to visit the forum more, read all of your amazing insights and hopefully find a place I can go to find love, compassion and wisdom. I'm also starting a non-profit to benefit people suffering from mental illness but I'll post in another section about that. This post is just to introduce myself and thank Paul and all his guests and everyone brave enough to fill out the surveys for creating this space. I truly think this is probably the most important podcast in existence and I want to see it continue to thrive. Sending love out to you all! Thanks for having me in this forum.
SunWorshipper

Re: First Post - Humble Intro

Post by SunWorshipper »

Hey! Welcome! I also wish I could do more to serve others. While I am struggling to heal my own life (which I think one has to do before you can be strong enough to assist others) I just do what I can in small ways. I smile at people. Especially the ones who look miserable and could probably use a smile. I hold doors for people. I let drivers have the right of way. I say thank you as much as I can. All of these seemingly small things can change someone's day for the better, and they certainly help me feel good!
Do you subscribe to MeetUp? It is an online thingie that connects you with others with your interests and you all go out and do things together. It might be an option for you to meet folks with your interests in that huge city.
Peace,
Sun

Return to “Introduce Yourself Here”