New DSM

This is reserved for professionals to talk to each other. If you aren't a professional and want to talk to one, click on Ask a Professional and choose one of our professional volunteers.
RSRA
Issues: PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, Anorexia
preferred pronoun: she

New DSM

Post by RSRA »

There's been a lot of talk about the DSM 5 which just came out a few days ago, and I am wondering what you all might know about it. There's been much discussion about potential changes in my classes, some of which were very interesting, like the elimination of Asperger's Disorder. Have any of you gotten the new manual yet, and if you have, what are some changes that you've noticed?

I'm also feeling a little anxiety about the potential changes, as I have already taken Psychopathology, Assessment and Diagnosis, and Psychopharmacology. I'm sure that when I take other Mental Health-focused counseling classes, the changes will come up and I am enrolled in continuing education around the changes, but I can't help but have this idea in my head that my education that has involved the DSM up to this point will become obsolete, and quickly.

Any insight you all might have would be much appreciated. :)
MichaelHung

Re: New DSM

Post by MichaelHung »

You are not alone...I think the majority of people in the field are unhappy about the changes to the dsm ahah. Don't stress it, there will always be training available for the dsm5...those trainings will probably count as your required continued education credits anyways. Just my two cents, probably don't need to worry too much.
tiabarber
Issues: sd
preferred pronoun: df

Post by tiabarber »

social (pragmatic) communication disorder, a new condition for persistent difficulties in ... Autism spectrum disorder is a new DSM-5 name that reflects a scientific ...
dffg
AlmostWell

Post by AlmostWell »

The DSM is an unfortunate cultural mainstay. Diagnosis is for insurance and drug companies only. I feel if we really attend to the experiences of our clients, and develop a language with them, the DSM becomes useless.
CalmBeforeTheStorm
Issues: general feeling of lowness, unworthiness, shyness, anxiety.
preferred pronoun: she

Post by CalmBeforeTheStorm »

I apologise if this offends or upsets anyone here, but I saw this documentary a few years ago (before the DSM 5 came out I believe) that was extremely eye-opening and upsetting. Well worth a watch.
https://youtu.be/MFhm-xhQocM :?

Return to “Mental Health Professional to Professional”