Signs of mental illness in soon to be kindergarten

IMPORTANT: Our mental health professionals are volunteers. They are either licensed therapists, social workers or interns. Their advice is NOT meant to be a substitute for one-on-one counseling and should be weighed alongside other opinions/resources. Since they are volunteers, they have busy schedules and cannot always reply promptly. Please be patient.

If you feel you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else either call 911 or the Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255
OrangeJackets
Issues: several mental and mood disorders.
preferred pronoun: he

Signs of mental illness in soon to be kindergarten

Post by OrangeJackets »

What are the signs of a mental illness/disorder in a soon to be kindergarten ? I was watching my child's half brother today and he has a history of not listening or doing what he is told and always has to be moving ever since I have known him. I read that this could be a sign of a problem. His oldest brother has aspergers and adha. Could he been having the same issues as him?
Imissmysun
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, past trauma healing,
preferred pronoun: she

Re: Signs of mental illness in soon to be kindergarten

Post by Imissmysun »

Some kids are naturally hyper - not all kids have something "wrong" with them - however there are many great programs across the country that assess and provide early intervention -

My child was diagnosed at about 3 for ADHD - but serious mental illnesses take longer to diagnose - they normally will not manifest seriously until teen years -

If it really is a concern maybe tactfully and well meaningly see if his parents have considered just having him evaluated - it does not cost anything in most areas and if he does need services he will have them -

ALl it really does is provide more support for the child to succeed,
Just another messed up chick, who hates her body and face, and voice, and thinks she is useless and her stuff isn't that bad and she should get over it.
-Sarah St. Lunatic

Return to “Ask a Mental Health Professional”