do i have bipolar or just depression&anxiety

IMPORTANT: Our mental health professionals are volunteers. They are either licensed therapists, social workers or interns. Their advice is NOT meant to be a substitute for one-on-one counseling and should be weighed alongside other opinions/resources. Since they are volunteers, they have busy schedules and cannot always reply promptly. Please be patient.

If you feel you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else either call 911 or the Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255
Ellieoncé
Issues: Depression, anxiety, self harm, disordered eating
preferred pronoun: she/her

do i have bipolar or just depression&anxiety

Post by Ellieoncé »

I have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety and am on antidepressants, I am never sure whether they work tho. I know that the symptoms of the combination of depression and anxiety can overlap with bipolar disorder so I am unsure whether I should look into bipolar meds/therapy instead. I am very up and down and have had times when i have a few weeks of dark depression then a few weeks of high anxiety.... sometimes i wonder if the anxiety is mania/hypomania not just anxiety as I sometimes experience derealisation and it's very scary and like I'm losing my mind and myself. Usually when I feel happy I am hyper and impulsive but it always comes crashing down later. Is this just normal of anxiety and depression or something more.
What would Beyoncé do
Grace Pacheco, MFT

Re: do i have bipolar or just depression&anxiety

Post by Grace Pacheco, MFT »

If you did have bipolar disorder, your psychiatrist would never have prescribed an anti-depressant alone without a mood stabilizer to counter it since anti-depressants are known to bring on manic episodes in bipolar patients. Psychiatrists always screen for mania in your first evaluation to determine the best prescription and plan of treatment. It doesn't sounds like you have bipolar I disorder if you can tolerate an antidepressant and stay out of a psychiatric hospital. You may look into Bipolar II illness which is less known to the general public and is slightly different in presentation. Many people who have borderline personality disorder are confused to have bipolar disorder because of the rapidly changing emotions and mood. I recommend you speak with your psychiatrist about any questions regarding medication. Wishing you mental wellness.

Grace Pacheco, MFT
www.EastBayAreaTherapy.com
ValeryVala
preferred pronoun: he

-

Post by ValeryVala »

My sister had bipolar disorder and everyone was scared to be with her because of her sudden mood swings. I think it is quite common nowadays and they can be treated. My sister had undergone the bipolar disorder therapy <snip>. Proper medications and care should be given to them.



Return to “Ask a Mental Health Professional”