Episode 317: Misophonia: Rage at Certain Sounds

SpookyGhost
Issues: Anxiety, self harm, PTSD, childhood sexual abuse, rape, emotional eating
preferred pronoun: She

Episode 317: Misophonia: Rage at Certain Sounds

Post by SpookyGhost »

35 year-old barista (and listener) Charlynn Schmiedt shares about having misophonia which is a "fight or flight" physical response to certain everyday sounds, such as gum chewing, throat clearing etc. and the complications and misunderstanding that arise out of having to interact with people who don't think it is a "real thing". Charlynn also shares about having an eating disorder in her 20s as well as depression and anxiety. Her husband Patrick sits in to also share what it is like to live with someone with misophonia.

Follow Charlynn on Twitter at @OhTheProfanity

For tix or info on Paul's Feb 22 & 23 appearances in Oakland go to www.eastbayexpress.com/mental

This ep is sponsored by the online counseling provider BetterHelp. To try a week free go to www.BetterHelp.com/mental and fill out a questionnaire to be matched with a counselor.

This ep is sponsored by MadisonReed. For 10% off your first hair color kit and free shipping go to www.Madison-Reed.com and use offer code HAPPY

This ep is sponsored by BlueApron. Check out this week's menu and get your first 3 meals free (with free shipping) by going to www.BlueApron.com/mental

This ep is sponsored by Casper Mattresses. For $50 towards the purchase of any mattress go to www.CasperMattress.com/mental and use offer code MENTAL

Support the podcast by becoming a monthly donor at Patreon (and get free rewards from Paul) www.Patreon.com/mentalpod
Hail Ceasar
Issues: Mild body dysmorphia and intrusive thoughts
preferred pronoun: He

Re: Episode 317: Misophonia: Rage at Certain Sounds

Post by Hail Ceasar »

To the person who asked about haircut fetishes in a survey at the end(or anybody interested), the is a group on FetLife called "Aroused By Haircuts" you might find interesting.
HowDidIGetHere
Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect
preferred pronoun: he

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

This may not be the right place to ask this, but it seems as good a place as any.

Is misophonia only an anger response to certain sounds? Because I have a hard time with a lot of the same sounds that people describe (chewing sounds, etc.), but they don't make me angry as much as they fill be with despair that it will never end and that I'm not going to survive it.

Same thing?
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

WTF Just Happened?—a new web magazine on coming out as mentally ill.
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

I have a theory.

As an infant (pre-linguistically) those sounds are "mistaken" for the first vestiges of communication. You recognise their significance because you're making similar sounds. They signal the approach and presence of some strange, overwhelming force you can't control, escape or keep. If for whatever reason you're suffering trauma during infancy those sounds are "tagged" with that trauma. That imprint goes with you through your life; an echo of first moments, where there was no filter.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Interesting idea.

I've had misophonia at certain times, but not constantly. I guess I was stressed at the time, and was around the person (a relative) for a prolonged period. Took the slurping etc as lazy and inconsiderate. (Athough in retrospect, a sinus condition the person had may have contributed).

Interesting fact- in Japan, slurping noodle soup is customary, and it's a minor mark in growing up when a child develops the lung power to slurp an entire noodle in one go!

Wonder what kind of misophonia then, a Japanese person might have...?
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.

Post by snoringdog »

Not rage, but get annoyed at the obtrusive TVs in waiting rooms. Volume is usually too high.

Also when someone is watching a movie or series in the same room, and I'm not.
Sound track is annoying or disturbing, depending on the show...
snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

Gas engines droning.
Motorcycles roaring loud...
Grating sounds of Spring!
:angry-teeth:
snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

Cellophane Tape Gun
Shrieking across the cardboard...
Sets my teeth on edge...!
snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

Leaf Blowers droning
Leaves and Nerves all a-swirling...
Why can't people Rake..?!!!
:?
snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

Startle Response High!
Smallest sounds make me edgy.
I guess I'm just tired....

Return to “Podcast Episodes/Surveys”