Episode 124: Amber Tozer

Post discussions as new topics.
gfyourself
Issues: Emotional eating, dysthymia, anxiety

Episode 124: Amber Tozer

Post by gfyourself »

The comedian (Last Comic Standing, Twitwits) talks about her and her father’s alcoholism, his awkward foray into lingerie photography, craving her mother’s acceptance and understanding her own fluid sexuality.
shanarchy

Re: Episode 124: Amber Tozer

Post by shanarchy »

On a funny note...

When you guys were talking about the need of someone to just listen and Paul mentioned he had a similar issue in the beginning of his relationship with his wife...I just could not help but be reminded of this video: :lol:

http://youtu.be/-4EDhdAHrOg
~Shanarchy

"You are more talented than you think, more beautiful than you know, and more loved than you can imagine." ~Kandee Johnson
kitkat

Re: Episode 124: Amber Tozer

Post by kitkat »

I just listened to this episode on my walk to and from the library, and it just struck me so much. Maybe because of "daddy issues" and whatnot, but parts of this story just resonated with me and especially certain things I have been examining in my own life recently. It's really weird how some things just sync up.

I've been remembering certain things my father said to me about women, how I would end up a gold-digging harpie because all women are, and the sort of floozy girls he would date, but would tell me never to be like, and just the way he would view women in general. Obviously I didn't realize it then, or until very recently actually, but it makes sense that I started to hate women and hated being a woman and instead started dressing like a tomboy and acting like a boy and only wanting to hang out with boys. I never wanted to be more than friends with these boys, I just wanted to be them, and when they got girlfriends, I would hate those girlfriends and I hated the idea of girlfriends and I never wanted to be anyone's girlfriend.

And then hearing how her father took photos of lingerie models, which effected her identity as a woman, it struck home. It's amazing how we don't realize how things affect us until way later. I always thought, "oh, my dad is just an asshole, but he isn't affecting me," until you look back and see how you changed yourself.

And I'm not saying that women have to be "womanly" or anything like that, and I'm not saying I don't love "boy oriented" things, but I am learning to embrace being a woman, and how it doesn't make me a lesser person or a sex object. Just because all the heroes I like to read about are men, doesn't mean I can't be one too because I have boobs and whatever. And I just enjoy how this episode came about at this time in my life when I could really understand it in that way.

That's just my two rambling cents. As usual. :B

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”