Steve Agee episode (thanks!)

Post discussions as new topics.
rleemattingly

Steve Agee episode (thanks!)

Post by rleemattingly »

Steve talking about his first time going to therapy made me cry. Now typing this is making me cry. Seems like a lot of stuff makes me cry all the time. The more I listen to these shows the better and worse I feel about everything and I think it might be time to look into therapy and meds myself. I tried both during really messed up times around the end of high school but I dont think the doctor knew what he was doing.Just wanted to say thanks. Guess it was just the right thing to hear at the right time but it made an impact.
dare i say it

Re: Steve Agee episode (thanks!)

Post by dare i say it »

I don't think crying is necessarily a bad thing, especially if your next thought is about reaching out for expert help. Good luck!
Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
wkz

Post by wkz »

Oh, he was also on Ari Shffir's podcast, talking about more or less same things - you can listen to the episode here - http://www.arishaffir.com/?p=1246
Frootsy Collins

Post by Frootsy Collins »

I don't think I have Steve Agee's condition as bad as he does, but I often get the same kind of nervous inability to swallow and his description of it sounds very familiar to me. I haven't had it diagnosed either, but I've also be very interested in what it might be.
"How nice--to feel nothing, and still get full credit for being alive."
-Kurt Vonnegut
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Frootsy, your avatar is the shiznit (or whatever hip term the kids are using nowadays) ;) :lol: 8-)
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
mcsharon

Post by mcsharon »

There was so much I identified with in this podcast, it was almost spooky. I actually went to my doctor many years ago with the identical swallowing problem. I honestly thought I was the only person in the world ever to have that. I used to have to stuff my pockets with tissues whenever I went to church as a kid, because for some reason, it was worst of all there. Anyway, after a physical exam, my doctor said what I had was called "globus hystericus" and it was, indeed, a product of my anxiety. It went away for years after I started taking medication for my panic disorder -- I've been on a few different meds -- and I'd forgotten all about it, but then I decided to go off meds last year and it came back. Needless to say, I've pretty much accepted at this point that I made a big mistake in going off meds and I need to go back on, because it is not a fun problem to deal with.
dare i say it

Post by dare i say it »

mcsharon wrote:There was so much I identified with in this podcast, it was almost spooky. I actually went to my doctor many years ago with the identical swallowing problem. I honestly thought I was the only person in the world ever to have that.
It's nice to know you're not alone, eh?
Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
next year

Post by next year »

I loved this episode. He describes panic attacks really well. Wherever you are, you just want to be somewhere else....

And the stuff about opening up to people and how nice they can be. When I started telling people about my anxiety I found out so many people I know have some form of it. One of the best things for me was my pastor pulling me aside after church and saying "There are some people that will tell you that you just have to pray, turn to God, he'll take care of it. That's bullshit. Work with your doctor, keep trying the meds until you get better. It sucks, but it will get better. I've been there." People kinda come out of the woodwork.

On a side note, I could listen to Steve Agee talk for hours. *sigh* What a great voice.
shawnkathleen

Post by shawnkathleen »

I just listened to this episode for the third time since it's original release because it makes me feel like I am not completely nuts. There is so much of what Steve speaks about that I find incredibly relatable. The anxiety, panic attacks, and even the swallowing deal. As I was listening it totally hit me and I recalled the very same thing happening to me as a pre-teen. One day I realized that I had forgotten how to swallow. WTF. I am fairly certain that is when my horrific hypochondria started, and have unfortunately had it ever since (I am now 43). Also his mention of the headaches and brain tumors, yup. Ditto. I like to joke about it, however I too rarely get headaches so when one appears I freak out. Because my father died of heart issues at a fairly young age (53) I am 100% convinced that something is wrong with mine, and that one day I will just drop dead. I made it to a cardiologist earlier this year (which was a HUGE deal for me to actually go), but I never followed up with the second appointment in fear that they would have to tell me I am dying after the further testing.

Being a hypochondriac is fucking exhausting!

Anyway, in case Steve were to read this -- I just wanted to put out a huge thanks for sharing his story; and of course to Paul for continuing to do his amazing work.

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”