Mike Carano

Post discussions as new topics.
remarks
Issues: overeating, anxiety, seasonal depression, emotional incest
preferred pronoun: Hey You!

Mike Carano

Post by remarks »

Wow. This episode was intense. I feel like usually Paul's guests either have their shit figured out or or a work in progress. I felt like Mike Carano came to the show for an intervention. Paul did a great job. I'm sure it got uncomfortable and awkward at times. What do the rest of you think?
jenloiacono

Re: Mike Carano

Post by jenloiacono »

I agree, definitely an intense episode. I had to listen to it twice to really be able to follow where Mike was going, he had so many thoughts bouncing all over the place. Paul handled it really well for sure. I really hope that Mike took Paul's advice and got into therapy and is doing well, it was good to hear at the end of the episode that he's still sober.
sometimes, it's okay if the only thing you did today was breathe
fifthsonata

Post by fifthsonata »

Agreed. I'd love to hear a follow-up interview in a few months to see how he's doing.
thisisanickname

Post by thisisanickname »

I don't want to be one of those obnoxious people who tries to make a diagnosis based on a podcast interview, but my father had bipolar disorder and I recognized a lot of commonalities in Mike's story: the rages, the impulses to do crazy things that might seem perfectly appropriate at the time, even his speech and the way you could tell his train of thought was sort of scattered and spinning seemed very manic to me.

Again, I don't want to try and diagnose him and I don't really know much about Bipolar disorder past what I learned living with my Dad. Hopefully Mike will get to a professional who can help him whether it's bipolar or not.

I'd be interested in a follow up interview as well. Hope he's feeling better.
psychogenericjen

Post by psychogenericjen »

I was intrigued enough to listen to this one twice, too. I am concerned about Mike, even though I've never met him, and emailed Paul directly with some comments that may or may not be appropriate for the forum or for the internet public.
Mike (and people with similar issues with rage) should not own a gun, first of all. Maybe he can sell it to get a few extra bucks to buy some therapy and some Lexapro. I'm hopeful that he has health insurance, so the prescription cost won't be prohibitive for him.

I don't want to be "entertained" by personal stories of pain, and feel conflicted about listening to such. I would say the one thing I've learned about personal growth and healthy habits is that nothing feels "GENUINE" at first. Initially, and maybe for a long time, depending on the skill you are trying to learn, you MUST FAKE IT. With practice you will become accustomed to the emotionally and mentally healthy habits. Eventually they will begin to feel more normal and natural.

My OCD, which is an anxiety disorder, has been almost fully cured by a combination of behavioral therapy and 10mg / day of Lexapro. I think that Mike clearly has a high level of anxiety, whatever his diagnosis may be, and treating that will probably make a huge difference in his quality of life. Anyone who has self-medicated for years with alcohol certainly has depression, and that must get treated. Alcohol is a drug with major side-effects, and it eventually stops working... Lexapro is much safer and cheaper!!!

Thanking you,
Jen
hermitical

Post by hermitical »

I need to listen to this one again, I found it one of the most heartfelt intense episodes yet. After listening to it I felt oddly thankful for some of the things Mike was saying kind of speaking for me even though I don't recognise many of the things in myself, sorry, not explaining myself very well
connor

Post by connor »

wow. i really relate to mike. if he finds a group that works for him, let me know. im looking for one and i think the same group might be helpful for both of us.
inmymind
Issues: Depression, anxiety, intimate relationships.
preferred pronoun: He

Post by inmymind »

I give mike major kudoos for coming on the podcast. I too, like a few of the posts I glanced at, hope Mike can get some good counsiling and a good psychaitrist to evaluate if, and what med's he should be on. It sounded like he was high on Cocaine. I'm not familiar with how bi-polar people are, so I have no base for comparison. He did seem to be out of touch with some of the things he was saying. I feel a lot of compassion for him, because obviously, as he storied, that kind of behavior can be so self-destructive.

Again, give Mike credit for coming on. I hope his friends can reach out to him, and he can reach out to himself. Power and love to you Mike. You are not alone.
Selkie

Post by Selkie »

I should start by saying that Mike is in fact the sole reason I found the Mental Illness Happy Hour in the first place. I'm a longtime Loveline listener, through which I first learned about Mike and subsequently started listening to the podcast "The After Disaster" (aka "AD") where he is a main host.

Mike talked about his interview with Paul a month before it was posted, and expressed intense shame about it, feeling he wasted Paul's time and "did it wrong," even expressing fears that Paul disliked him and was never planning to post the interview.

I was aware of maybe 3/4 of the material Mike covered, but the context of this podcast made is really get laid bare, without his and his cohosts normal humor to obfuscate just how horrible it was. I do like Mike and I was very glad for him to have this opportunity to pour it out to a sensitive person like Paul. Paul may very well have given him the proper nudge to get therapy. I am continuing as an AD listener, and since Mike often has a hard time not talking about personal stuff, I'll likely hear updates from him regularly.

I think that is kinda interesting, the observation of the bipolar like qualities he has. I see it too, the pressured speech, the boneheaded ideas that seem perfectly reasonable at the time. My only thought that might counter that is that this behavior and state is persistent for Mike: In listening to him for a year and a half, he is always like this. Don't bipolar's eventually have to come down for long periods too?
Stina
Issues: Avoidant PD, Generalized Anxiety, Persistent Depression, Social Anxiety
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Stina »

My only thought that might counter that is that this behavior and state is persistent for Mike: In listening to him for a year and a half, he is always like this. Don't bipolar's eventually have to come down for long periods too?
Not necessarily. The behavior cycles vary depending on the type of bipolar illness a person is suffering from.... And you're only hearing Carano for maybe 2 hours a day, 5 days a week? Who knows.

Can you share any updates on him? Is he in therapy? I've been curious since listening to this episode.
~~~ Kristina ~~~
weird and broken

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”