Meds For Agitation

Discuss how medications do or do not work for you. Post as a new topic.
minigrogs

Meds For Agitation

Post by minigrogs »

So, I have been on meds on and off for anxiety and depression, but beginning to realize agitation is my biggest most constant issue. Agitation comes with anxiety and/or depression for few days, than fine for a few days. This is the most common thing. So my mood keeps on changing. When agitated, feels like uncomfortable in my own skin, just clawing feeling. Then, like sometimes sad too. Usually, its not brought on by thoughts, just feel this way. Then leads to negative thoughts, probably to make sense of it. But really I think it is the agitation that is the issue. Can't take it right now.

The meds I am taking right now are pristiq for anxiety/depression and focalin for ADD symptoms. Therapist suggested looking into a mood stabilizer. Asking psychiatrist about it now. Emailed her, but hoping to make appointment. But was wondering if anyone deals with anything similar? And what they do in terms of meds? As therapist thinks main issues seems to be biochemical here, making it tricky to handle in therapy at the moment.
in_media_res

Re: Meds For Agitation

Post by in_media_res »

Sorry to hear that...I have issues with agitation to varying degrees. It's almost always, in my case, a reflection of how much stress I'm experiencing and the degree of control I have (or think I have) over the situation. High stress, low control yields lots of agitation.

Have you checked with your doctor regarding the focalin? Take a look at the possible side effects -- you don't mention what specific symptoms you're experiencing, but many of them may be relevant and agitation is specifically listed as a sign of possible overdose. Perhaps you're just not responding well to that, and something else would be a better choice for the ADD?

I personally take Ativan when I get extremely stressed -- I have a history of alcohol abuse, so I try and avoid it as much as possible. Given the likelihood of dependency, it's probably not a good choice and it isn't recommended for long term use. I take something called Tran-Q for anxiety. It's a Chinese herbal medicine that was recommended by a naturopathic physician. No idea what's in it, but it does seem to provide some level of help.

When I'm really agitated, I try to respond by doing something -- working out, walking. I even carry around one of those stress balls that you can squeeze. That actually seems to help the most.

Good luck, keep us posted.
May you find rest in a peaceful heart.
minigrogs

Re: Meds For Agitation

Post by minigrogs »

We keep on switching the ADD drugs, focalin is latest I take, and as far as I know, I believe should have least effects. But, I have had this most of my life now that I think about it. Although, of course it could be bringing it out more at the moment. However, its like in college, this would happen a lot. And then over the last year, it happens. I have ativan somewhere but I feel like I get so drowsy on ativan. So like I need something I can take during the day to just keep me from feeling this uncomfortable, agitation. For me, it is not stress related. When stressed I tend to get very anxious. Agitation, I can wake up with. It comes in and out of my body. Sometimes doing something helps. Running can help me, at least momentarily. I get urges to self-harm when I feel like this, mainly to get feeling out, but only have self-harmed a few times, can usually stop myself from it. When I have a drink or 2, out with friends and such, I feel better momentarily, but few hours later, comes back or worse. I don't know. Just want to be normal. Thanks for the response and support! I really appreciate it!

Return to “Medications”