SSRI Alternatives?

Discuss how medications do or do not work for you. Post as a new topic.
captainpanicattack

SSRI Alternatives?

Post by captainpanicattack »

Hi everyone.

My therapist pointed out to me today that it seems like I don't do well with SSRIs in general, not just specific brands. Is anyone here knowledgeable about what other kinds of antidepressants/anti-anxiety meds there are/has anyone else had success with something that isn't an SSRI?

Many thanks for any/all input.
camdendayton

Re: SSRI Alternatives?

Post by camdendayton »

By not do well do you mean you are still depressed, or do you become manic-like?
captainpanicattack

Post by captainpanicattack »

They'll work for the short-term and then I'll become more depressed and, in some cases, suicidal.
ThJulie

Post by ThJulie »

SNRI's tend to be gentler and cause less side effects that last such as weight gain and dizziness.

I am on cymbalta. In the beginning I was completely freaked out and suspicious. I felt a little dizzy for a week and had mad hot flashes for a month. but after that, I felt incredible. Complete 180 on my paranoia, body dysmorphia and improvement with my anxiety/depression. I had no weight gain (I actually lost a little because I felt so awesome) but I do have to get my liver checked every year AND it causes me to be sensitive to the sun and heat and my blood is thinner. But seriously is magic for me otherwise and the side effects are really just life style changes - stay out of the sun, have air conditioning and be careful about being cut or taking other meds that thin blood!
A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes but to get into accord with them: they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world. -S. Freud

Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for the truth. -B. Disraeli

Return to “Medications”